Solved: New camera questions

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jethsy

I have used a 3.2mp camera for 4 years and done lots of editing. (Both Nikon--3.2 is Coolpix 3700 and 7.1 is Coolpix S200) I just bought a 7.1mp camera and took pics with both cameras to compare them. First question, when standing in the same spot, trying to hold each camera to take the same photo, the 7.1 shows the image much close on its lcd screen--why? Second--when the pics are loaded on Picasa, I cropped an identical piece from both. Honestly the 3.2 camera's cropped image looks sharper--why?

Thanks for any answers!

mrss

From steves-digicams, same scene with the 3700 and an s500 (same as S200), but a few years apart.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/nikon3700/samples/DSCN0127.JPG
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/nikon_s500/samples/dscn0015.jpg

If you're saying it looks much larger rather than closer, well it should, as the newer camera is 50% longer in the horizontal dimension (3072 pixels vs 2048 pixels).

I don't know that the newer one is that less sharp in the above example. Maybe you can post your crops.

A lot of owners have said that they thought their 3MP cameras were better than the newer 7MP models. I guess it depends on your specific models. I had a 3 MP Sony that was so awful I gave it away.

jethsy

Okay, I am going to try and post two pics. The first is from the old camera. I'd love to hear your thoughts. The link you gave me shows two different pics and I must say I can't tell any difference, except maybe the color is better on the newer camera.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

buck52

Banned
focus is not the issue...the second of those two pictures is way better than the first... period

the first one has enough noise/grain to start a band with

mrss

Yes, it is noisier, but it's still not focused. So you're showing us the opposite of the original complaint? I gather that the image with the lower number is from the newer camera?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online