Solved: new computer, old monitor

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

crussell97

I just bought a new computer for my dad. It was the floor model. In the store it was hooked up to a flat panel. When I brought it home and hooked up to my old monitor, it doesn't work. The new computer is an HP. the monitor is a gateway from 1995. I can start it up in safemode, but if I do a normal boot, I get the Setup screen, then the 'loading Windows XP' then black.

I'm assuming there is nothing wrong with the monitor since it works in safe mode. Can someone tell me how to make it work in normal mode???

Thanks.

HI,
It seems that the PC has installations for flat panel, and of course your old monitor couldn't support them.
Try to plug another monitor and chenge the screen resolution and other installations suit to your old monitor.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
While in safe mode, try changing the resolution to something the monitor supports.

Rukee

Banned
^^right, I have an old monitor it will not support anything over 800x600, in safe mode try to change the resolution to 800x600 and reboot, or use a diffrent monitor to change the setting then swap them out again.

crussell97

I tried to change the resolution, but it was already at 800X600 16 bit . I guess because I was in safe mode? I'll try to swap out with a new monitor and see if that helps. Any other suggestions before I go? The computer is at Dad's with no internet access yet. So I drive 40 minutes over there... try something new... then come back here with more questions. Any suggestions to save me a trip would be appreciated.

Thanks for the quick replies!:)

Rukee

Banned
take the monitor with you and try it on his machine, if it doen`t work with his either, then the problem may be with the monitor not the computer.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Since his machine is down until you fix it, take the machine with out, solve the problem, and take the whole rig back.

crussell97

Thanks for the suggestions. The extra monitor worked. Now I have to figure out what to do with the old one... :rolleyes:

JohnWill,
I never would have thought to take the computer home with me. I will definitely remember that if I have any problems in the future. (y)

Claudia

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online