1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New computer or reconditioned used?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by imawriter, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

I'm thinking about getting a new computer, not a laptop but a table top. I have talked with a computer tech and computer business owner about getting a used one that he can put into good shape. What are the pros and cons of buying a used, reconditioned one vs a new one?

Thanks.

2. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Pro: cheap.
    Con: none, so long as it can do the job you have for it.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

The machine I'm on right now and use everyday I built in March 2003. I've kept it clean, running cool, and have had a minimum amount of problems in 7 1/2+ years. My needs are simple, and it does everything I need it to do.

The room is actually pretty warm right now since I have the air conditioner set at 82, but attached is an actual shot of the current machine temps.

Attached Files:

4. Tapeuup

Tapeuup

tigerdirect and newegg carry some nice rebuilt system at excellent prices and most with a year warranty, the systems you get is usually shipped in a plain cardboard box but the computer looks brand new, also you can return it if you don't like it.

5. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments.If I get a used one are there some key questions I should ask or things I should look for?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Will it support the most recent operating systems. It would be unwise to buy a machine that couldn't even run today's operating systems when new ones are coming out all the time. Only newer operating systems can be expected to support the newest hardware, too.

Other than that, you need to get the best warranty you can, and hopefully, trust the guy you buy it from to be reasonable above and beyond any warrantied situation. Honest people don't quibble about warranty wording when a problem arises.

7. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Depending on the job to be done, a new operating system might not be a valid requirement. In fact, the need to run a new OS - particularly if that OS is Win 7 - probably mitigates completely against a used computer.

A new OS is only required if the job to be done can't be done with the old OS. There are many such situations, but there are also a lot of situations where a new OS isn't needed.

8. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

I was forced into an upgrade earlier this year because, unfortunately, I needed to deploy Windows 7 with Office 2007. Prior to my upgrade, my system was of a vintage similar to yours. I actually built it in 2004 using previous generation components (making it about 2002-2003 vintage hardware).

I was progressively having more and more trouble with it because my requirements are pretty demanding, and I had my CPU sitting at 100% for extended periods, so the Win 7 requirement was a convenient excuse to do a major upgrade that was becoming essential anyway.

So now I am running a quad core workstation (Phenom-II 955 overclocked) with 8 Gigs of RAM, a GT 240 video card, a Linux 32 bit OS with a PAE kernel to access memory over 4 Gigs, and Windows 7 Professional running in a VMware Workstation virtual machine.

It works really really well. I gave Win 7 3.1 Gigs of RAM which is all it can address, and Win 7 runs as well as a native install would run. The Windows Experience thingie rates processor at 6.6, memory at 7.4, hard drive at 6.5 gaming graphics at 5.3 and desktop graphics at 5.9.

I now routinely run a very recent Linux distro as host, and Win 7, Win 2000, and Win XP Pro simultaneously in virtual machines. And I have plenty of RAM and processor horsepower left. :)

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

jiml8, I think you had exactly the correct answer in post #2 where you stated;

"Con: none, so long as it can do the job you have for it."

Build or purchase a configuration, based on your needs.

10. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

Thank you all for taking the time to send me tips and other information. I am not a tech-smart user but rather a writer. I have an eight year old computer using XP. I haven't seen a need for Vista or 7. Most of the time I use it for simple things like research. So I like to be able to move quickly from site to site. I write all the material for a user-friendly site for a group of physicians, with quarterly updates, and I work with a Webmaster to actually do the technological thing to get it up. If it weren't so slow I'd keep it .

Any additional tips from others about new vs. used would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

11. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Why is your computer slow? Have you tried to clean it up and optimize it to restore the speed it doubtless had when it was new? Probably it's clogged up with "digital detritus" - things you install along the way suck up resources that you don't need to have sucked up. You can stop all that crap and make the system perform like new.

I have an XP laptop that dates back to 2001. I still use it and it is still as fast as it was back then. It works for what I use it for, so I see no need to replace it - though I have replaced the hard drive in it twice.

I just keep it cleaned up.

12. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

I don't know why it's so slow. As I recall, the hard drive has never been replaced. I don't know that it was any faster when I first got it, but I didn't notice. Too busy just trying to figure it out.

My 2002 computer was built for me by a friend who is a Microsoft technician. He also paid regular visits to check on any problems.When it makes a sound like an ambulance I know it's overheating so I get out my air spray, take off the back and spray inside. That's the extent of my personal, technical service knowledge.

Maybe there are just some programs that are slowing it down. I will ask the man who has suggested a reused one (my neighbor, whether he can make my present one faster.

I am reading all your comments, printing them and saving them for discussion. Thanks again.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/947895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice