1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED!] new computer wont bleep, display or anything,just whirrs!?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theedge, Feb 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theedge

theedge Thread Starter

I'm new to this game but having pulled my daughters old PC apart I thought Id put the new one together,save some money and all that.
    easy enough til I switched it on. nuthing! oh hang on the cpu fan runs and the harddrive hunts, sometimes the cd-rom looks as well, not always.

wot did I use?

MS-6378 MOBO WITH INTEGRATED GRAPHICS/SOUND
    DURON 900
    128SDRAM
    RECOMMENDED H/SINK'N'FAN
    2nd hand H/D.......it works ok in this machine I on so thats ok.

monitor has its own power supply so thats not in the way.

got any clues cos Im lost the mobo isn't shorting on anything so......HELP!!!!!!! pls!!

2. brianF

brianF

Any beep error messages.

Did you configure the jumpers on the motherboard for the correct settings for the processor.

Disconnect everything except the cpu, one stick of memory, vide card, and floppy, put a startup disk in, will it boot.

Reseat the cpu, memory, and video card, will it boot.

3. theedge

theedge Thread Starter

soory, forgot to say no post bleeps.
    have just changed the jumpers from100hz to 133hz, didnt make any difference.

I dont have any sound card or graphics cards at the moment, am using the ones on the MB, jumpers r sent to these.

have stripped and refitted components till Im bored of it. funny tho, the CD ROM only hunts when not connected to the MB

4. brianF

brianF

double check that the cable for the cdrom or floppy isn't connected backwards.

red stripe goes to pin1 on the motherboard and the drive.

front side bus should be set at 100, multiplier to 9

5. theedge

theedge Thread Starter

well Brian,

have just tried with only cpu, 1 stick memory and the floppy and it didnt even look at the floppy drive.

Its got to b something simple Ive missed surely!!:confused:

6. theedge

theedge Thread Starter

ok, thanx Brian,

have set fsb back to 100, now I get confused. multiplier? wot,where,when?:confused:

7. theedge

theedge Thread Starter

bit more on that last message,

I cant find it in the MB manual either

8. theedge

theedge Thread Starter

look out! have just found the following paragraph:-

the mainboard can automatically set the CPU Host Bus Frequency Clock

it then gives an example of

CPU Clock = 100mz
    Core/bus ratio=7

then 100mzX7 = 700mz

I figure this means it will do that bit on its own as a 100mz X 9 type of thing

have checked all cables (again) all seem fine.

getting frustrated now!!!

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Try unplugging the floppy drive as well.....and the keyboard and mouse if you've got them connected......something should beep :(

10. theedge

theedge Thread Starter

HMMMMMM!

nope, that didnt work either candy.

all thats connected is the monitor, one stick mem, one cpu, one heatsink,one fan.

nothing

is something dead do u think?:( :confused: :mad:

11. ~Candy~

:( Well, I'm assuming the power supply comes on, right? You've checked its connector to the motherboard?

If so, it's probably the cpu or the motherboard :(

Just for fun, you might try disconnecting the monitor.....

12. theedge

theedge Thread Starter

Left with nothing else to try, I unplur the monitor from the back.......................nope.

just as well I kept the boxes they came in I get the feeling that Ill be sending them back through the post soon!!!

thanx for your help so far.

13. ~Candy~

If you've got another power supply to try......other than that it sounds as if you've got either a bad board or cpu.....my bet is on the board.

14. Archangele

Archangele

Do you know how to use a volt meter? You can first check to see if you have all the voltages going from the main power supply power cable to the motherboard. I'm assuming this is an ATX and uses a single plug for power.
    Since you say your CPU fans work, I'm betting the power supply is good,. Did you connect your PC speaker to the motherboard? Many forget to do this and eventhough the motherboard is 'beeping' they never hear it since the motherboard has no onboard speaker and the external one mounted in the case is not connected. This is something a lot of people overlook when testing a new machine.
    Ok, you say the hard drive spools up and you get some activity from the CD drive? This is a good sign.
    Turn your monitor on, let it sit for about 1 minute then turn the computer on. See if anything displays on the monitor. Normally the computer will display a memory test and a few other things before hanging up and going blank. If not, you want to investigate the video card first. Then the CPU and finally the mother board it's self. Even with no ram installed, the unit will at least flash some cryptic message to the effect of "Memory failure etc" on the display. But first make sure you have a speaker connected to that speaker jack on the motherboard. Most newer boards have no onboard sound devices. Obviously if you get a pattern of beeps indicating some failure, invesigate that first.
    Also, I hope you have the motherboard's original manual. That will be invaluable in trobleshooting the beep codes as well as verifying proper jumper settings.

15. ETS

ETS

I concur with the above suggestions. If you have a spare video card, try that first and of course it will help if your speaker is hooked up as well.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/68813

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice