1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New Cpu not working no video

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rawmethod, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rawmethod

rawmethod Thread Starter

Here we go again!!!

I have purchased a new CPU

ADX640WFGMBOX - AMD Athlon II X4 640, Propus, Quad Core, S AM3, 3GHz, 2MB Total Cache, HT 2000MHz, 95W

The rest of the system is:

Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate
    Asus M4n78se motherboard
    4gb corsair ddr2 800mhz
    EVGA 9800gtx graphics card
    700w power supply

I have replaced my old CPU which is an AMD athlon II x2 6400+ 125w which works fine, I was just looking to improve on it for gaming. I have only had the motherboard for a few months and was the second MB I had purchased as the first one I bought was incompatible with my CPU, so I though I'm not going to make that mistake again. anyway I have checked the asus support site for supported CPU's and the new one was definately on it, so I was distraught when I installed it and it didn't work.

So what's happening is. I turn it on, it all starts up, the fans run but there is no bleep like normal and the screen does not fire up. so I thought I would put the old CPU back in and see if that still works which it does. So I thought I would flash the bios to 1401 which was the latest version. still nothing. I know its not a power issue as the old CPU is 125w and the new one is only 95w.

I have read a few forums which have said to clear the cmos but wouldn't flashing the bios do this? if not then I guess thats the next step although its not something I have done before. Other than that im fresh out of ideas. Can anyone offer any advice please?

Kind Regards

Paul

2. norton850

norton850

Are there any additional power connectors on the MB that need to have power going to them? Will assume all is compatible since you checked and updated BIOS.

3. rawmethod

rawmethod Thread Starter

Thats a possibility I hadn't thought of, but the old CPU is 125w and the new only 95w. I will still give this a shot as its definitely worthwhile trying. Thanks for the advice.

Regards

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What bios are you running on that board? From what I can see that cpu is supported from bios 1204 on. If you have an earlier bios, it is not supported.

5. rawmethod

rawmethod Thread Starter

Flashed it to 1401 but still nothing.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You may have received a DOA cpu however do the following;
    1 With the board posting with the old cpu still in, shutdown and clear cmos or as asus calls it RTC.
    2 Clear as follows. System OFF. Pull the pw cord from the pw supply. Now hit the ON button 2~3 times to remove any residual charge from the capacitors. Clear with the jumper for a minimum of 10seconds. Replace jumper. Replace pw cord.
    3 Install your new cpu and hsf.
    4 Pw ON and see if it will post. If no post after doing the above [and board works with old cpu] I would say you have a dead cpu.

7. rawmethod

rawmethod Thread Starter

Thanks alot I am going to try this now, I will report back.

8. rawmethod

rawmethod Thread Starter

Ok followed instructions to the letter. Still nothing, what a shame I was hopeful then. Ahh well I guess these things just happen. I will contact scan the vendors tomorrow. I would like to think they will test it, and swap it out or offer something else. I have used them before and they are usually very good apart from waiting about 5 weeks for my MB to get swapped once. Still I only bought this yesterday so they better be prompt this time or I wont be a happy bunny. Thanks ever so much for taking the time to read and respond to this post everyone I am very grateful. There is nothing worse than not knowing how to resolve these issues. Kind RegardsPaul

9. rawmethod

rawmethod Thread Starter

ok all sorted now. turns out it was a faulty stick of memory. seems wierd as it works ok with my old CPU. So my new CPU is working great now, but I am 2gb of ram down. Now I have to speak to corsair to get that swapped now.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad you got it working. It is not that strange; the memory controller is part of the cpu. Different controller and it may not like the memory.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976452

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice