1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New disk image pulled on boot?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AGayer, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AGayer

AGayer Thread Starter

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a good way to store a disk image of a hard drive either within that drive or on a server and have it overwrite the booting drive on every boot? I work at schools with computer labs and sometimes the kids mess up the computers and we have to run a Ghost Multicast session to wipe the drive. But everyone has been asking me for a way to wipe the computers clean on each boot? File loss is not an issue, as kids save their work to thumbdrives and network shared folders. Any ideas?

2. Iceworx

Iceworx

Well, theres a program called Cyberspace 4.0 XP. Its used in Cyber Cafes to give access to whichever computer the user pays to access. After every log off, all the files downloaded / made are erased and settings are set back to default to whatever you make them be in the host pc.
    This probably could work, just give everyone a username so that you can log them in and end their session when they leave.

3. AGayer

AGayer Thread Starter

Sounds interesting... Might be worth looking into. Do they have a website? I tried looking them up but came up short...

4. Iceworx

Iceworx

Yea, I would have to add an english pack to the program considering it´s in spanish =/. I just realized no language packs are availble for it.
    I´ll see what i can find for you.

5. AGayer

AGayer Thread Starter

Found what I was looking for! As it turns out, Microsoft has a small app called the Shared Computer Toolkit. This does a better job than I ever imagined it could do. Everything the kids do on the computer is negated as soon as it turns off! It's like they never touched it. Hard to believe MS did something right!! :)

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Yes a very good utility. But if you were still thinking of automating images you could setup a TFTP server and make sure the PXE boot is set on all the computers.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536695

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice