1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New DNS server, PHP no longer mailing in-house.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by mtlhd, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mtlhd

mtlhd Thread Starter

My website has a cart function that emails customers out of house and the sales staff in house when an order is placed.
    A little while ago our DNS server decided to committ suicide and a new one has been installed.
    I am brand new to server administration. They fail to teach that subject in web programming and graphic school. :mad:
    So, needless to say, this has been utterly frustrating to the 'nth' degree.

So...here is the issue.
    Amongst many other headaches fixed, this one I can not figure out. My site no longer mails to the sales staff that are here on the private network. I have watched the mail logs on Mdeamon and the mails don't even seem to be getting past the Domain Controller. The website will mail outside accounts just fine, but the website (php mail( ) ) will not mail inside the network.
    I have searched and searched but cannot find what to change to allow the website to mail my sales staff.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds. My fellow computer geekers, I need your help.

2. mtlhd

mtlhd Thread Starter

awe man, no one has any ideas?

3. mtlhd

mtlhd Thread Starter

::bump::

4. eduperson

eduperson

What is your network environment? Is the DNS on a separate server? Is the domain controller separate to everything else? When you say mdaemon, is that the mdaemon appliance? And where is the website hosted?

5. mtlhd

mtlhd Thread Starter

We are on a Win2K3 environment minus my web server which is Linux (slackware 9.2.1) with APACHE.
    The Domain Controller is on a stand alone machine.
    Mdaemon is not the appliance, it is just the mail server software running on a windows based machine.
    The website is hosted in house on the Linux/Apache server.

My website can mail out of network to any account, but all the in house accounts that are attached to the domain I can not mail.

The only thing that changed was the DNS server.

I would imagine the settings and changes I need to make are ont hat server, but for the life of me, I can not find anything that makes a difference.

THanks for your reply!

6. mtlhd

mtlhd Thread Starter

We are on a Win2K3 environment minus my web server which is Linux (slackware 9.2.1) with APACHE.
    The Domain Controller is on a stand alone machine.
    Mdaemon is not the appliance, it is just the mail server software running on a windows based machine.
    The website is hosted in house on the Linux/Apache server.

My website can mail out of network to any account, but all the in house accounts that are attached to the domain I can not mail.

The only thing that changed was the DNS server.

I would imagine the settings and changes I need to make are ont hat server, but for the life of me, I can not find anything that makes a difference.

THanks for your reply!

7. eduperson

eduperson

The basic idea is that you'd have to create a DNS entry for your internal network, so that your domain can resolve to the internal IPs. Then you'd put an MX record to point to the mdaemon machine.

By the way, what is the DNS environment? ie. Windows or Linux?

8. eduperson

eduperson

PS: The above post assumes that your DNS server is used only by the internel network. If it is also used to resolve your domain to the whole world, then you may need to set up a different DNS for your LAN, and have the internal clients resolving via that.

9. mtlhd

mtlhd Thread Starter

Yes, our DNS is in internal only, it queries an outside server to resolve us to the world. It is a Windows environment; only the webserver is Linux but I have samba running so they can communicate.
    All the pointer records have been set up with reverse pointer records to match, I'm not sure what else to do.

Thanks for your time eduperson.
    much appreciated.

10. eduperson

eduperson

From your linux, have you done an nslookup?
    If you don't know how to - open a command windows and type nslookup. Once you get to the other prompt, type your domain name (to which you would like to send email to) and see what IP gets returned.

11. mtlhd

mtlhd Thread Starter

When I queried The mail server from the webserver(linux) with nslookup it returned the DNS server's address, followed by #53.... then reported: Server Can't Find Host: SERVFAIL.

So the web server request was stopped at the DNS, it couldnt see the web server.

thanks again for help....Know where I go from here?

12. eduperson

eduperson

Try putting the mail server's IP and its domain name in /etc/hosts

13. mtlhd

mtlhd Thread Starter

I added the machine names and IP addresses to the '/etc/host' file on the DNS server, restarted the DNS services ............. but my web site mailer still can not make it to the queue in the mail server.

Anything else that can be done? :eek:

Thanks for your time eduperson. (y)

14. eduperson

eduperson

Does nslookup work now?

15. mtlhd

mtlhd Thread Starter

The Linux/Web server can nslookup the mail server and see it now, but the website still can't mail to anyone on the network, I don't understand it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646052

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice