1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 'New Document' altered in Microsoft Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Damski4, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Damski4

Damski4 Thread Starter

I don't know how I've done it, but everytime I open a new document in Word the cursor flashes at the very top of the document (i.e. there's no top or bottom margin). I know that by selecting 'header and footer' I can insert these, but it is a pain to have to do everytime I want to start a new document.
    Having read another thread where the blank templete had been altered by mistake I took the advice and tried renaming 'normal.dot' to 'normal.old' but this hasn't made any difference.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    With Word open, Open the normal.dot template. There make the changes that you want, then save it and close it.
    Now try making a new document.

3. Damski4

Damski4 Thread Starter

When I open the normal.dot document it is actually exactly how it should be. I saved it again but when I tried to open a new blank document in word it opens the altered one again. Just tried it a couple of times but it is still opening the wrong one.

4. slurpee55

slurpee55

You didn't change the view by mistake did you? It sounds like you should have Print Layout view selected but have another instead.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

5. Damski4

Damski4 Thread Starter

No, I definitely have it on print layout view.

Thanks for the welcome!

6. slurpee55

slurpee55

duh, never mind - I was writing about headers and your problem is with margins.

7. slurpee55

slurpee55

Go to File, Page Setup, Margins. Select the margins you want (common ones are 1 inch top and bottom, 1.25 on either side and gutter of 0, with gutter position being left).
    Click on Default.

8. Stacers

Stacers

Sounds like you've got it set to view pages continuously, skipping over the headers and footers. Try putting your cursor up at the top of the page between the page and the ruler - it should turn into two little arrows pointing towards each other. If you double-click, you should be able to see your header again. (That's in 2007, if you're using an earlier version I imagine it might work the same way, but I can't remember).

9. Damski4

Damski4 Thread Starter

The margins were already set-up as you stated. I clicked default and tried opening a new document, but it's still not working!

10. Damski4

Damski4 Thread Starter

Ok yes that has worked - Thank you everyone for your help!! (y)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/830556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice