1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New drive - clean install - cannot open volume for direct access

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by thegroovylab, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thegroovylab

thegroovylab Thread Starter

I have a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on an Acer 5733 and right from the 2nd full boot I have had the error message:

"one of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. you may cancelthe disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue.
    windows will now check the disk.
    cannot open volume for direct access.
    autochk cannot run du3 to an error caused by a recently installed software package.
    use the system restore feature from the control panel to restore the system to a point prior to the recent software package installation."

At the point of this error the only software installation that had occured was the OS. I installed all the Windows updates thinking a MS patch might fix the issue.

The drive was manufactured in January 2013 and I ran a check on the SMART attributes using Acronis on the local machine which showed no issues.

I pulled the drive and ran chkdsk on it in a sata dock on another system, no errors were found.

I put the drive back in the local machine and ran sfc /scannow via an elevated command prompt, which found no issues.

I ran chkdsk c: from an elevated command prompt and no problems were found.

There are also dozens of errors every hour in the system log:

"the file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. please run the chkdsk utility on the volume new volume"

I ran chkdsk c: /f from an elevated command prompt to schedule the check and rebooted. On reboot chkdsk ran and completed with no errors and rebooted. Upon reboot I ended up back at the first error message, and still have the same errors showing up in the system log.

2. techmaster85

techmaster85

You may need to do a reinstall again..

3. thegroovylab

Starting over is always an option with any issue, but this issue existed right after the clean install. I research as much as I can and was hoping someone would have a few other options.

4. techmaster85

techmaster85

Well, do you have the option to do a system restore? It seems very odd to me that you got this right off the bat..running chkdsk aparently doesn't do dittle..

5. thegroovylab

There are restore points for each of the critical Windows updates, I am trying to roll back to the first one created right now to see if that has any result.

6. thegroovylab

Nope, during the restore reboot, same error.

7. thegroovylab

Did a re-reinstall (that should be a word) from the same media and no errors in the system log. Must have just been a freak issue with the initial install.

8. thegroovylab

This is as solved as it will ever get, the system has to be back to a customer tomorrow morning so there was no more time to experiment.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089785

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice