Solved: New DSL Connection: First Ten Days

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mojomojoa

I just got a DSL connection (SBC Yahoo) set up on monday, and on the modem (speedstream 4100) there was a sticker that said "To maximize connection speed, leave this modem on for 10 days after DSL installation is complete." After doing some googling, it appears they need to test my line during this period, but not 24/7. I read somewhere that they test it from 10pm till 2am, but that was just one person's opinion. I also figured it may not be at the same times for every person, so I'm not sure when mine is being tested. The reason I'm curious about this is because I can't just simply leave my modem on the whole time. That was already blown when my power went out for a night. I also want to disonnect it on purpose so I can move it over to my xbox. I guess my questions are: If I disconnect during a test, will my modem begin the test again immediatly after reconnecting? Also, how long does this test take? Finally, how affected will my speed be from the night when the power went out?

etaf

Wayne
might be a conversation to have with the ISP and see what they actually intend to do with the test.. I ould be surprised if they open boxes and stick labels on all there modems - tese would be standard modems from a manufacturer - unless they have a deal with the manufacturer to stick labels only on modems they use and ship to customers ...

mojomojoa

Well, I couldn't get helped through support, but I guess it's not an issue anymore since my DSL speed is close to it's max now.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online