1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: new DSL modem/router - no email or firewall

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ok2kt2, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ok2kt2

ok2kt2 Thread Starter

:( Whats wrong: I cannot send/receive e-mail. Also Norton Firewall and AntiVirus have stopped working.
    What changed: just switched DSL providers from Earthlink to Verizon.
    Equipment chaged:
    To: Verizon Westell VersaLink - Model 327 W DSL modem/router combo
    Not changed:
    Web Browser: IE 6.0 (sp2)
    Email Software packages: Eudora version 6 (paid mode), Outlook Express.
    AntiVirus/Firewall packages: Norton all the way.
    Example Error Messages: (basically all the same thing, I think):
    <Dominant>, Connecting to the Mail Server ...,
    Could not connect to 'incoming.verizon.net'.
    Cause: connection refused (10061)

<Dominant>, Contacting outgoing.verizon.net (206.46.170.8),
    Could not connect to 'outgoing.verizon.net'.
    Cause: connection refused (10061)

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'ktgjlwaldrup_verizon_mail', Server: 'outgoing.verizon.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'ktgjlwaldrup_verizon_mail', Server: 'incoming.verizon.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Mail Account', Server: 'earthlink.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

LU1841: Connection to ISP failed
    LiveUpdate could not connect to your Internet Service Provider.
    What I have tried so far:
    * verified all the server information and account names were correct.

* a few hours with Verizon's online help. Since I can go to their web site and get/send email, they feel it is not their problem.

* searched the internet for info on Socket Error: 10061.
    Basically, this lead me to something called EsResolve - 'an ActiveX Control program control that resolves host names into IP-addresses and vice versa.' (This can also be used to get info about the socket installed on the machine.)
    While I do have multiple IP-addresses now (right?) as I have both my IP and the one the DSL modem/router pushes out, I have no idea if I need this, so I took no action. [Go see at: http://activex.sourceforge.net/esresolve.html]

* I have searched your forum (under network and web/email) for any similar threads.

Conclusion:
    I am stuck. Before I pay bucks to Norton or (heaven forbid) Microsoft, I'd rather ask you folks. (You're probably as good or better than those guys and I'd rather pay donation bucks to your service, anyway.)

Other Facts:
    I cannot ping the pop3 server
    I cannot ping the SMTP server
    I wish my other half would let me switch to Linux :D !

All comments welcome!

A BOAT LOAD OF THANKS to all of you who try to help me figure this one out!

2. DVOM

DVOM

Try a google search for "Error Number: 0x800CCC0E", there's a lot of hits for that error and a lot of different fixes.

BTW, you didn't explain why you think Norton FW and AV aren't working.

3. BillC

BillC

If you were using Zone Alarm, I would better know what to tell you. But, I'm going to give it a shot for I believe your problem is the Norton firewall.

Can I assume you changed your settings in your e-mail client to reflect your new mail server IP and password?

With many firewalls you need to reset the database when you change your ISP. I don't know how to do that with Norton, so an uninstall then new install should accomplish the same thing. Here is a Symantec site that should help.

What makes you think that your NAV is not working?

4. ok2kt2

ok2kt2 Thread Starter

Thanks! KT

5. ok2kt2

ok2kt2 Thread Starter

#1 OK - I'll check out this error and see if any apply.

#2 - Because all were working before the new device was installed and now
    only these three have problems.

Thank you!

6. ok2kt2

ok2kt2 Thread Starter

A quick netstat -an reveals ports 25,110 and 119 are not "listening".

Anyone know how to get these ports back on the available list?

7. ok2kt2

ok2kt2 Thread Starter

The situation as described originally remains.

Everything was working nicely with the earthlink dsl mode.
    With the verizon router/dsl modem device, the world as I
    knew it (from this computer) is disfunctional at best.

8. JayT

JayT

Don't know if it will help or not, but why do you still have the Earthlink account listed?
    Maybe if you go into Control Panel, Network connections, and delete the Earthlink connection, or at least set Verizon as the default, it might work.

Or it might be as simple as releasing and renewing your IP config.
    1. Click the Start menu button on the Windows taskbar.

2. Click Run... on this menu.

3. If the computer is holding a current IP address, type 'cmd' (without the quotes) in the text box that appears. A command prompt window appears on the screen.

4. Type 'ipconfig' (without the quotes) to view the status of the computer's IP address(es).

5. If the computer is holding a current IP address, type 'ipconfig /release' to let go of the address.

6.Type 'ipconfig /renew' to obtain a new IP address (whether or not the computer is holding a current address).
    (don't use quotes with any of these commands) -
    Try these suggestions. What have you got to lose?

9. ok2kt2

ok2kt2 Thread Starter

Thank you for the comments, JayT!

The reason earthlink was still listed (it is not now) was we still had that isp active. (Still do.) I didn't want to cut anything off until we got the new one working. As you can see, I am confused, but at least I did catch that and fix it.
    (Verizon is now the default.)

My husband is even more confused. Between us we are a sad face, indeed. We sure do need some help from someone who understands all these settings in the network protocol areas.

These problems are our own user error, I am sure. We just thought verizon would have made it a whole bunch easier to set up. We are still not functioning properly. (I am sending this from work -- long after hours.)

I'll check out all your comments on the machine as soon as I get home.

Thank you!

- KT

10. ok2kt2

ok2kt2 Thread Starter

:confused: JayT -

I have performed the ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew.
    Nothing changed. The setting were the same before and
    after I completed this step.

I also deleted ALL the connections listed and redefined the verizon connection.

Everything is the same. I can reach the internet. I can NOT
    send/receive email. The error remains the same:

"The connection to the server has filed. Account 'ktggjlwadrup_verizon_mail',Server 'outgoing.verizon.net',
    Protocol: SMTP, Port:25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061,
    Error Number: 0x800CCC0E "

Any expert networking folks on this forum who can help me fix this, please?

11. JayT

JayT

"The connection to the server has filed. Account 'ktggjlwadrup_verizon_mail',Server 'outgoing.verizon.net',
    Protocol: SMTP, Port:25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061,
    Error Number: 0x800CCC0E "

Maybe you don't have your email client configured correctly. I have Verizon DSL also, and my email client is set up with the POP Server -incoming Verizon.net -outgoing.verizon.net-then my user name and password - with "remember password checked" and "my server requires authentication" - all this is on the Server tab -
    On the advanced tab - Outgoing mail (SMTP) 25 and Incoming mail -POP3 - set at 110
    But you don't have to check Log on using Secure Password Authentication.

12. nickg

nickg

try going to Westell site at 192.168.1.1 and see if you can find any help there. Westell can walk you through the steps if you contact someone in tech support.

13. ok2kt2

ok2kt2 Thread Starter

(y) All who have helped me...

(I had already been to the WestTel site and on the phone with Verizon many times, but thank you for that info.)

I UNinstalled my Norton Antivirus and Fire wall and upgraded to the new Norton product (2005 something or other.)

This solved whatever problem I was having. Email is now working!!

The only thing not working now is my husbands ability to play on Links 2003.

I think we'll uninstall his links program tonight and re-install. Perhaps that will resolve this problem.

Thank you one and all for your suggestions! I appreciate your time in trying to help me.

Case closed!! :D

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/317000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice