1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New ECS Laptop--does it burn data CD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jethsy, Nov 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jethsy

jethsy Thread Starter

A friend just purchased a new ECS laptop and he is puzzled that it won't burn a document made in Word to CD. Is it possible that it only burns DVDs with data and CDs only with music or video? That is just a guess I have. Please tell me if it's right. I think that many new desktops have DVD burners but not CD burners. Is this correct?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What burning software? What happens when he tries to burn to DVD?

3. steveb1492

steveb1492

Reinstall the drivers (and verify that it is in fact a dvd burner, or at least a cd burner, not just a cd-rom or dvd-rom).

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

To answer the original question, no. If it has a DVD burner, I can't imagine it not being able to burn CD's, I've never seen one that doesn't do both.

5. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

As long as it is a burner it should be able to burn DATA cds.

What software is he using.

You could also post the exact laptop model and we can tel you what its specs are.

6. jethsy

jethsy Thread Starter

Okay, I've just learned the model. It is ECS 536S. It looks to me like it has a CD burner, but not a DVD burner. Shouldn't the driver needed be included with the computer when it was purchased? My friend has been told that he needs to purchase software in order to save Word documents on CDs.
    Thanks!

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it has XP, then it has the built-in burning capability. There is nothing different about Word docs from any other file that should prevent their being burned to CD or DVD.

If the drive is a DVD burner, then it will burn CD's. The drivers to run the drive are installed, but no additional burning software is necessarily installed. But most machines that come with burners also come with burning software. Do you see any sign of burning software?

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    This unit should have come with something like Roxio CD/DVD creator or Nero Burning.

9. jethsy

jethsy Thread Starter

As Elvandil said, it should burn CDs with XP--if this is correct then I don't know why it won't either. Do others agree with Elvandil?
    Thanks!

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Yes it should burn cd's with XP, If you look at the drawer bezel on the Drive it should say CD R/W if it is indeed a burner, or even DVD/CD R/W or something similar. IF it just has a CD symbol with the words Compact Disc under it then it is not a burner.

11. jethsy

jethsy Thread Starter

I'm sending this url to my friend. I am not in the same city as he is. Thanks for your help. If anyone has any more to add, please do.

12. jethsy

jethsy Thread Starter

Well, duh! My friend bought another type of CD and it now is burning CDs just fine. I guess this shows that I'm not as technically savvy as I'd hoped! Thanks for all your help. I am glad to have been given the assurance that the laptop should have the driver and need nothing more.
    Again, thanks!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/413969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice