1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New GFX card, no signal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bronxblogger, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bronxblogger

bronxblogger Thread Starter

I am wanting to upgrade my graphics card from a 9800 GTX+ to a 560 GTX Ti. When I plug in the 560, I get no signal from all three ports, yet the card itself is working since the fans are running. I take it out and put in my old 9800 and everything runs fine without any hiccups.
    I have uninstalled the 9800 drivers and installed the 560 drivers (while still having the 9800 in place). I put in the 560 and still no signal. I cannot even see the boot screen. No image is being delivered to my monitor.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-USB3P
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128433

PSU: Kingwin Mach 1
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121040

GFX Card: GeForce 560GTX Ti
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130737

I called EVGA for assistance and they think that I have a bad card and offered to RMA it.

I don't understand why I am having this issue to upgrade my graphics card.

Any takers?

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Did you make sure that you plugged in the 2 8 pin power cables into the top of the video card when you installed it?

Jack-O-Bytes

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You do not install the new drivers with the old card still in place; that is guaranteed to fail.

Here is how to properly install a new video card;
    1 Old card still installed, uninstall ALL related software for the card ie driver, any control panel, etc
    2 When prompted to reboot, just shutdown and remove your old card
    3 Install the new card and pw ON. Do not use the driver or any software from the install CD. Download the latest driver either from the card maker's site or preferably the latest driver from the nvidia site. Install driver and reboot.

Are you seeing post data on the screen then when windows loads you get the black screen OR are you not seeing anything at all on the screen ie post data, splash screen, etc? This is with the new card installed.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    if you have talked to eVGA and they did all their troubleshooting then they might be right, you may just have a faulty card - it happens.

5. bronxblogger

bronxblogger Thread Starter

I have done this many times, but I modified it for one last shoot. Before I shut down I removed EVGA Precision, ran a CCleaner registry cleaner and shut down. Then I took out the CMOS battery and removed the RAM. Let it sit for about a minute. Placed the battery in, Placed the RAM in different slots than before, connected the graphics card and slide it in the PCI-E slot and booted. It freaking worked.
    Downloaded the drivers directly from the site and now I am good to go. :D(y)

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad you were able to get it working however you indicate that you did NOT follow the procedure.
    As posted this is absolutely guaranteed to fail.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031585

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice