1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New/good/reliable graphics cards under/near $100?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Googlz, Apr 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Googlz

Googlz Thread Starter

I'm replacing my Nvidia GeForce GT 220 as i inadvertently broke my fan dusting it because it was overheating playing TF2. The card wasn't much good to begin with and i don't feel like fixing the fan on a cruddy outdated card. I've never shop for a GPU before so i'd like some advice of what you guys think is a good card. I'm not looking for top of the line but rather something that can at least run last gen games (TF2, Skyrim w/ mods) at acceptable settings, and if possible, current gen at acceptable settings. I also need one powerful enough to run my game i'm developing, if that changes anything.

These are my specs: http://imgur.com/WE2gbmu
    Other specs and info: http://imgur.com/MYgkuzW

I'd rather not have to spend more than $100 as I don't know if I'll have to upgrade my PSU or CPU, though I don't think I'll need to upgrade my CPU and RAM for a new GPU.

Any suggestions are nice, thank you

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the brand name and model number and wattage of the power supply inside that Dell Studio XPS 8000 desktop?

The original power supply it comes with appears to be 350 watts.

--------------------------------------------------------

3. Googlz

Googlz Thread Starter

not sure but i think the psu is a "Chicony CPB09- 001B"

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That's a Dell-branded 350 watt power supply and is likely the same one that came in that desktop.

If you plan to upgrade to a more powerful graphics card to play the latest games, you also need to upgrade to a better quality and higher wattage power supply.

I'm not a hardware expert nor a gamer, so my input here is limited.

--------------------------------------------------------

5. Googlz

Googlz Thread Starter

well, i figured that would sadly be the case, if anybody knows of a good GPU that could work with my current PSU would be great!

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Your current NVIDIA GeForce GT220 video card uses 58 watts and requires a "minimum" of a 300 watt power supply, so you were already pushing it to the limits of that Dell-branded 350 watt power supply.

You are not going to find a more powerful video card, then add the demands of gaming, then expect that power supply to handle that load.

What you're putting at risk is the motherboard and the other hardware in that desktop if the power supply fails.

----------------------------------------------------------

7. Googlz

Googlz Thread Starter

Stupid dell building non functional computers! Ok i'll look into a psu too, best suggestion?

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That's a consumer level desktop and not a gaming desktop, so don't blame Dell for the issues you're having with it.

If you want a quality gaming desktop, you need to select one that's built for that purpose and which costs much more.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm not an expert on gaming and on power supplies, so you need the advice of some of the experts here.

crjdriver and Triple6 and some of the others can much better advise you.

-----------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!