1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Games' started by ExcellentDF, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ExcellentDF

ExcellentDF Thread Starter

I need to get a new graphics card. After reading a few reviews, I think I've settled on the ATI Radeon HD3870 512MB. My only concern is most of the reviews came at the end of 2007 and I don't want to buy something that will be out of date in another month or so, but it seems right for the price at $215.

I mainly play COH/ COV and want to try Crysis.

Any thoughts if this is a good card to get?

Also, one review stated I need a P/S with 6 pin ESI adaptor. Can someone shed light on what this is for me? And perhaps I already have it?

Thanks much - I'm going to repost this on Hardware forum, too.

2. Prizzbone

Prizzbone

A 6 pin connector is what is used to connect additional power to your card, you NEED this. Most newer PSU have this, some have one that can be 6 or 8. Look at your PSU and see if you have a plug that looks like this:
    If not, no big deal, they usually include with the card a adapter that turns (2) 4-pin Molex plugs into one 6-plug. Just make sue your PSU has enough amps on the rail to power your card.

As far as your card, plan ahead, you planning or running SLI or crossfire eventually, do you want to be able to fully use pci-e 2.0?

3. ExcellentDF

thanks Prizzbone

I plan on eventually running CrossFire and my research states the ATI Radeon HD3870 can bridge with itself or the newer ATI Radeon HD3870 2X, but I think after this GPU purchase, I'll start saving for a newer motherboard, first

I'm pretty sure I have enought amps, but can you give me some tips on how to check?

thanks much

4. Prizzbone

Prizzbone

Here is an example,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371009

If you go down to where it says output under the specs tab, it tells you all of your voltages and amps. It also tells you what connectors, like 2 pci-e 6 pin. I have dual 8800 gtx's, so I needed (4) 12volt plugs that put out at least 15 amps each, The psu has (4) 12volt plugs that put out 18amps each, so it is able to handle both cards at full load.

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonhd3800/requirements.html
    This is ATI's specs for the card, what PSU do you have? Your PSU output is also on the side of your PSU, with the volts above and the amps below.

5. ExcellentDF

what a great learning experience and thanks in advance!

about a year ago, someone told me I wouldn't be able to upgrade my Dell XPS and should consider building my own or having a local shop start a custom build for me...I'm finding this advice to be true

my MB has an AGP slot and no PCIe...so I think I'm out of my league with the Radeon HD3870

now the question is, will I be able to find a new AGP card to continue using this DD (Damn Dell) while I start a custom build??

6. Prizzbone

Prizzbone

hmmm, that will probably be tough. Strange as it sounds, old graphics cards are kind of classic and are getting more expensive than current cards. My first comp I ever bought was an old Dell dimension 3000. I learned the hard way that there was nothing I could do to get it upgraded, besides throwing in a little ATI 6200.that let me play COD1, on low.

What is your current graphics card you have now? Or is it just onboard? It may be cheaper than you think to do a rebuild, depending on what you r current comp has in it, some of the parts may be salvagable. I built a decent comp from my old dell by taking the ram, HD, DVD Drive and PSU. I got a mobo for 40 bucks andhad an old AMD +3500 lying around and threw a 7600 GT XXX in and can play most recent games on medium to high.(no crysis or world in conflict though).

7. ExcellentDF

I've been doing some research all morning and have found the Radeon X1600 Pro and the Nvidia GeForce 7300GT to be comparable for my AGP needs - and I've found them pretty reasonably priced on ebay to either bid or buy outright - so I guess that's a good thing for now...

my current card is a Radeon 9800XT and that let me play City of Villians on high for four years now, so hopefully a new card with work just as well...I'll have to put off Crysis for a bit I guess

while I get this computer up and running, I'll start exploring building my own - I'll keep you posted as I'm sure I'll have a plethora of questions and need for advice :)

8. Prizzbone

Prizzbone

Sounds good, let me know.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/715032

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice