1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] New H-P Printer Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by raybro, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Howdy Folks... Helping a friend with his Gateway PC (Win98) and installing a new printer. He bought an H-P 3600 unit. Reading the system requirements on the box, it looks like it should work.

Hooked it up and inserted the CD. Came up with a window labled "System Requirements". Everything was OK except CPU requirement. Went to the "Details" in the H-P window and it says the processor is a "Level 5" and the "Recommendation" is for a "Level 6". Me thinks they misuse the term "Recommendation" as I can get no further in the install process. The necessary buttons to proceed are grayed out. Typical of H-P, the recommendation continues to say to install the printer in a compatible system (BIG help :rolleyes: )

The requirement on the printer box indicates minimum requirement to be P1 133MHz. According to Belarc Advisor, the processor is an AMD K6-2/3D-Now , 233MHz .

Any experience with this kind of prob or best guesses would be appreciated. Meanwhile, I'm going to check out the H-P site (my favorite thing to do) to see what I can find. :(

BTW... What is this "Level" stuff in relation to the processor. Not familiar with that rating. :confused:

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Wow, I don't even read printer specs, pretty much everyone I've hooked up works. How is it connected? Parallel? Direct or pass thru another device? Or USB?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Here's my suggestion:

1. Update your motherboard chipset drivers - ie. Intel or VIA ( www.intel.com or www.viaarena.com ) - very important if using USB.

2. Download and try installing the drivers from www.hp.com instead of the CPU.

4. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Candy... It's connected USB. But the problem is the H-P software will not let me proceed with installation because it does some sort of system compatibility scan right at the start that stops me cold as described above. :mad: :confused: :rolleyes:

Triple6.. It's an AMD K6-2 233MHz processor. Any specific site for the AMD processor chipset drivers? . I'll do a google, but if you have one, I'd appreciate it.

Regarding downloading the printer drivers from H-P. That would probably work, but I'm not sure that's all I need. There are files on the CD needed for operation. dll's and the like.

5. ~Candy~

I'm thinking out loud here, you really don't need the software, per say, just the correct drivers.....what happens if you download just the drivers, then connect the printer and go that route.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Everything you need can be downloaded from the Website as long as there is download. Some of the stuff on the CD is not needed at all, ever. The driver you download will have the dll's and everything else needed to install the printer.

Regarding the other download - it's not for the CPU, its for the chipset - if go into Device Manager and look under System it should list a whole bunch devices with Intel or VIA, same as under USB - it'll have something like VIA USB controller.

7. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Well, everything worked out. Went add/remove hardware and installed drivers from the H-P CD. printer works just fine. Thanks to all who contributed. (y) :D

8. ~Candy~

:D Good deal, you had my wondering there............ ;)

9. onthuhlist

onthuhlist

Raybro, I'm reading this post, and I have THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. But I'm not 100% sure what you did to correct it!?! Can you please help me out. Did you bypass the HP startup program, and go to add/remove hardware, and then when it said "have disk", you pointed it to the HP CD? I went to add printer (insead of add hardware), and pointed it to the HP CD, but it didn't find the driver on the HP CD. Do I need to look in a subdirectory on the CD? Do I need to use add/remove hardware instead of add printer? Do I need to blow my nose?

Please help!:confused:
    Thanks.

10. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

All I really did was abort the HP install process that comes up when you insert the H-P Cd. Then i went to Control Panel>Add/Remove Hardware. That will open the Wizard to detect any plug and play devices. It should detect the new printer. When it gets to the panel that gives you the option to browse for the drivers, click browse and navigate to the H-P CD. That did it in my case.

You may be able to access the same process bu going to system properties Device manger tab. Find the printer in the list (it will probably have a yellow (!) by it). Right click and select properties, then the driver tab. Click Update driver" and proceed from there.

Let me know how it goes.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!