1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New hard drive disappeared while installing windows 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pMo, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pMo

pMo Thread Starter

I got a new hard drive and plugged it in, booted up with the windows DVD, it went through all the loading business etc., and it came to the part where you choose where to install windows. My new hard drive showed up on the list, I selected it, and it began doing it's business. It was checking video settings and stuff like that.

Next time I looked it had arrived back at installation for some reason. So I did it again, but this time when it came to the part where I chose the hard drive to install on, it had disappeared as an option (the list was blank). I thought maybe it had already installed so I booted up without the DVD, but it asked for the disc. And I put my old HD back in (as evidenced by this post), so I didn't accidentally unplug some cable somewhere.

Unfortunately I was not paying attention to what was on screen before it seemed to reset back to the installation start.

Thoughts?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Maybe the drive died. All you can do is try it again. Try a different connector if you have one. Are you sure it is the right drive for your machine? Is it the right speed?

3. pMo

pMo Thread Starter

It's brand new so it better not have died. I'm not good with identifiying the meriad of cables and wired so I just chose the same ones that were connected to the old one, and they still work for the old one. As far as I can tell they are the only ones. As for the right speed, I have no idea about that. I didn't know that could be an issue. The motherboard is about 3.5 years old, but most other parts have been upgraded since then.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is the drive SATA II or SATA III? Did it hit against anything during the installation?

"Brand new" is one of the times when a drive is most likely to be found failing.

5. pMo

pMo Thread Starter

Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX

No bumping or anything, though it was shipped from Amazon. But - the packaging seemed pretty damn sturdy and safe.

6. pMo

pMo Thread Starter

Ok I dunno what the issue was (i checked the connections thoroughly) but it's working now a day later.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Let's cross our singers.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1054986

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice