1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New Hard Drive Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tonysou, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonysou

tonysou Thread Starter

Just bought a new 350 gig seagate or wd hard drive. "Not sure but I can check if needed too" My question is. It will serve as a slave with no os booting. Am I suppose to format this? I thought it was just a plug and play hardware. It sees it in device manager. But not in my computer. Pls help me. Am I doing something wrong here?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    most drives come pre formatted - But if its asking to be formatted and its just a slave for DATA why not do the format - choose NTFS

3. Mark1956

Mark1956

Yes it will serve as a slave with no OS installed on it but you do have to format it before it can be used. In Disk Management just right click on it and select "Format" from the list, it will take a while to complete.

Alternatively you could use this free software to split it into partitions.

Download Gparted from here and follow these instructions.

4. tonysou

tonysou Thread Starter

As I mention b4. I don't see it coming up on my computer. So I can't rick click something that's not there. But in device management it shows it existing.

5. Mark1956

Mark1956

I am referring to Disk Management not My Computer. I need to know what OS you are using to give further instructions, also tell me what the make and model of the PC is and if this is a SATA or IDE drive. Also state what the OS drive is, IDE or SATA.

6. tonysou

tonysou Thread Starter

Ok its a sony pcv-rs 422x. windows 7 32bit. Os drive is Sata.

7. Mark1956

Mark1956

Click on Start and then right click on Computer and select Manage.

A new window opens, in the left hand pane click on Disk Management. Wait a few seconds and the drives on your system should all appear in the main pane.

Take a screen shot by pressing ALT + Print Screen (Prnt Scrn) on your keyboard, click on Start and accessories and select Paint. Click on the paste button (top left). Save the picture and attach it to your next post.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
  9. tonysou

tonysou Thread Starter

ty guys.. i got it by using old trustee Easeus home edition.. My 350hdd after format ends up being only 300? is this correct?

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    It's probably correct .. There's a difference in the numbers when Gigabytes and Gigibites units are being used.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabit

The HDD mfr uses one .. Windows uses the other .. Just to confuse us maybe ???
    I bought 640s .. and widows says I got 596s

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    A 350GiB HDD should show as 325.96GB in Windows.

EDIT : is it a 320GiB HDD ? That would show as 298GB.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025964

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice