1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: new hard drive..ntdlr is missing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by med92303, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. med92303

med92303 Thread Starter

i have just gotten a new hard drive not that long a go because i was having a problem with space. I only had a 3gb hard drive to begin with and my new drive is a 40gb drive. I bought a used hard drive from computer renasance and they formatted for me and i installed it as the slave drive and it was set to enable cable select. the drive works great and ive used it to put pictures..etc. but it didn't take care of my problem because i couldn't copy the things to it that took up a lot of space.. I just got a new installation cd from a friend so i tried to take out the old drive which is c drive and put the new drive f drive into its place (I also switched the pin to master) but when i tried to boot from the cd it wouldnt let me it keeps on saying ntdlr is missing press ctrl alt del which i do but it brings me right back to the same message. Ive read a lot of threads on here like the one im posting now but im still a little confused . I want to use my new hard drive as the master but i cant figure out how to put windows xp on it.. I really dont need the old drive if i can somehow use the new drive to work in its place .is there a way to make the new drive the c drive? is that my problem? this has been bothering me for some time... im not that great with computers but i know a little bit . or so i thought i did .. if someone could please help me and try to make it easy to understand i would greatly very greatly appreciate it..thankyou so much and i hope to hear from someone very soon.......

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It sounds like the machine is trying to boot from the HD. Enter BIOS setup and look for the boot order. Move the CD-ROM to the top so that it tries the CD-ROM first and then the hard drive.

3. med92303

med92303 Thread Starter

thanks for replying so fast ok but how do i do that? enter the bios setup? ive never had to do that before ?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

On boot you should see a message to press a key to enter "setup". Or use this guide:

BIOS Access Guide

5. med92303

med92303 Thread Starter

thankyou i did that but it keeps on going to the blue screen and asks me for my password which i do to which it just redirects me to windows xp startup screen... i also called a few different computer places and its gonna cost me a hundred dollars just for them to instal the windows on the new drive... i wish i could do it myself though i also tried the page to figure out which command to use to get into the bios but im not sure what u would call my computer its custom made.. so i couldnt even say what brand it is to figure out which command to use.. this is so confusing it's really making me so upset i really do appreciate your help though the box i have it in is power spec and it also says that for a second when turning on the computer now i cant even turn the computer off , it takes like a half an hour to shut all the way down...

6. Mojolookout

Mojolookout

Hi,
    you system prolly has a BIOS password installed but i don't think the rules allow us to help you get the password.

can you check whether the password field comes up when you first enter the BIOS by pressing either "f12" or "delete" when you system boot up? if it does its password protected. contact your motherboard manufacturer for a password. sometimes computer makers install default passwords.

7. med92303

med92303 Thread Starter

i dont think its bios pw protected ,i mean im not sure its going right to the pw screen that i have to enter every time i start my computer and i have that pw i created it ,the administrator pw i will try now to press the f12 when i start the comp i think i might have missed it to get to the bios well it says press f2 or esc i may not have done it in time let me try again and thankyou for ur help is there anyway to put the windows on my new hard drive while its in the slave? so i can have my windows on the c? never mind thats probably a dumb question or doesnt make any sense. im trying really hard to understand all of this im new at trying to fix my computer but these forums have helped greatly to making me understand thanks to all of your guys help thankyou i will try again to get into the bios and if i do where is the boot order? or will it just pop up?

8. med92303

med92303 Thread Starter

i got into the bios i guess i didnt do it fast enough last time i dont see the boot order though i went to the section marked boot and it said boot config. plug and play o/s no reset config data no numlock no and also its not pw installed and it said hard disk 1 and hard disk 2 st33210a i dont know how to put the cd rom to the top of the boot order im gonna go ahead and switch my hard drives again and see if i cant see the boot from cd screen i didnt before but it wont hurt to check again also maybe it doesnt have the partition for the ntldr active? i dont know but any help would really be appreciated i went to a website with step by step instructions but im not trying to recover my windows im trying to install windows on a new hard drive that hasnt had it on there before thankyou again hope to hear from someone soon

9. med92303

med92303 Thread Starter

hello im not sure exactly what i did but i finally got windows to install on my new hard drive and now it says i need to activate my windows and i got the cd from a friend so i dont have the code is there any way around that? or do i need the code?

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, you need the product key and they can only be used once. Did you think Windows was free?

11. med92303

med92303 Thread Starter

no i didnt think windows was free im trying to purchase an additional license now hopefully that can work

12. med92303

med92303 Thread Starter

so do i have to buy the software brand new again i just bought it not even a year ago for my first drive but i tried to use my friends cause i cant find my cd i probably should just go and buy a new computer if i gotta spend the couple hundred dollars for windows new anyway

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice