1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: new hard drive or not? +some advice please :)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bubushum, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bubushum

bubushum Thread Starter

I've mainly got an old gaming PC set up for MMO's really so not amazing spec

but my hard-drive has started making clicking noises now I guess thats the pins in it or something like that not getting on the disk right??? well anyway it is very unreliable when booting and a fear not turn it off again. is there anything I can do. or, just buy a new one???and more to the point if I buy a new one. can I just plug it in another SATA port and move all stuff along like an external hardrive and will I have to download windows again?

plus my fans are really loud! I have 3 from what I can see. mr. grafics card is quite, but mr processer fan and mr.power bit thing one is very loud. I tried to simply bios is and turn it to quite mode but that barely changed it. I guess it's the old fans seen as there 3 years old now I think. any hints into buying new ones and what I am able to use.

last thing; my CD/DVD thing doesn't appear in "my computer" anymore :/ which was weird. it opens and closes but doesn't not read or even spin the disk round any more. any advice on this???

sorry for the lots of issues but old computer that still plays my mmo's nicely just has a few probablems now I am working on it I would like to fix now I have the cash. thx :)

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    If the hard drive is starting to 'click' intermittently then personally, I would look at changing it especially in an older system. Chances are it's on it's way out so it's only a matter of time, there isn't really anything you can do to fix it.

Personally, I always do a fresh install of Windows when I change something like the harddrive, to be honest I have never even thought of doing a straight transfer so not really sure if it is a feasible option or not. If you do a clean isntall, you can always stick your old hard drive in as a secondary drive then just transfer all your personal stuff over after installing WIndows.

Noisey fans may be a sign of them failing, I assume they haven't always been this noisey? Have you cleaned out the 'dust bunnies' from inside the PC? A build up of dust and dirt inside will cause problems, it builds up all over the place including the fins of the fans, this can put them a little out of balance if left for a long time which in turn can cause them to fail quicker. While you are inside (with the machine turned off of course :) ) make sure all the cables are securely connected, if necessary remove and reseat each one in turn, this may be the cause of the CD/DVD problem, or again, the CD/DVD drive you have just failed. They are dirt cheap to replace with new now anyway.

Exactly what make and model is the PC? This will help so we know exactly what is in it then can better advice on replacements.

3. bubushum

bubushum Thread Starter

so just some advice to format and redo. should I move all my pursonnal stuff onto external hard-drive then turn all off. install the new hard-drive, install windows, then move pursonnal stuff back?

as well I'll do a clean out after the new harddrive. I really don't want to turn it off without saving anything on something else cos I don't want to lose anything

4. zyper95

zyper95

Before turning off the unit, try to back up all your files first on an external storage drive if you have one. This is to avoid losing your files or unable to retrieve them.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    As a word of advice, it is best to have regular back ups of all the files you do not want to lose. pictures, Documents, music, video.

the hard drive clicking is what is known as the click of death. No telling when it is going to fail. I would suggest that you make a back of of the files I mentioned, if no where else than to a CD or DVD. Purchase a new hard drive install it as a secondary drive then clone the present drive to the new drive. When the clone is done, shut down, remove the old drive and install the new drive as your boot drive.

6. raybro

raybro

Everyone has their own preference, such as Tanis recommending a clean install with a new hard drive, but my preference is when I have a functioning system all updated and drivers current and programs installed, I don't want to go through all that stuff if it's not necessary.

My chosen method is to create backup images with Acronis True Image followed by periodic incremental backups (to record changes). If I should have a hard drive failure, I simple remove the old drive, install the new drive, initialize it and recover to the backup image. I'm back up and running as though nothing happened within and hour or so. I reserve clean installs for when I have some sort of system corruption and I cannot remember the last time that happened. Even then, I have an Acronis backup image of my original installation before I installed any programs or created any files, so I would use that instead of the windows install process. Acronis is a MUST program for me.

Raybro

7. bubushum

bubushum Thread Starter

my computer is falling apart. as I write this I am unable to use the letter o without it going spazzy, so theres something new too buy. well just to ask for xp, I do not have the xp disk anymore so thats why I wonderd if I am just able to move them over like pendrive or what ever. but what do I click to do it??? just copy "my computer" over??? will windows go as well. and it's mainly cos I don't want to download a million patchs for games again.

my shopping list is getting bigger. fans/cdrom/hard-drive/upgrade ram/keybaooord. just like to say thx for the help. this website has been very helpfull. even with small crappy issues like this :p

8. raybro

raybro

You cannot transfer installed programs applications, games or the OS from one computer to another or from one hard drive to another other than by the method outlined in my previous post using a backup program like Acronis True Image. All you can transfer are files.

Raybro

9. bubushum

bubushum Thread Starter

ganna mark as solved seen as I need no more help in this issue. new hard-drive and stuff comeing soon and I guess I'm ganna have to download everything again :(

thanks alot for the advice though :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice