1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New hard drive, type?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JMBerg, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JMBerg

JMBerg Thread Starter

I want to buy a second internal hard drive. The primary one says it is an ATA/IDE. Will this one work in my system, eMachine, T2798, XP Pro?
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 400GB UDMA/100 7200RPM 8MB IDE Hard Drive - ST3400832A-NDW-R

Will XXclone make an exact copy of the existing drive that is bootable with all the system and program files on it?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

That should work just fine.

You can "clone" the old drive using software from the drive manufacturer or XXClone (which many here have used). Alternatively, you can make an "image" of the drive on an external with programs like Macrium Reflect and then restore that image to the new drive once installed. This is safer in some ways since the original drive is then removed from the system and still available if the cloning process fails in some way.

Generally, those programs will automatically expand the partitions to use the new space, or free partitioning tools can do it.

3. JMBerg

JMBerg Thread Starter

Thanks Evandil. What about that drive I asked about? Will it work or is that what you meant by that will work just fine?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, that drive should be fine in that machine. The only possible problem would be if BIOS was set for the old drive specifically and not on "autodetect", but that is unlikely, and we are here if any problem occurs. :D

You will also need to set the jumper on the new drive. Follow the guide on the side of the drive and set it the same as the old one (it may need to be set as "slave" if you clone, but should be set the same as the old one for final installation).

And you do have SP2 or SP3 installed, right? The original XP won't "see" a drive that large.

5. JMBerg

JMBerg Thread Starter

Thanks again. I will order the drive then. I have an existed second, slave drive in there now but I want a bigger one to clone the primary so I'll set up the new one as the slave and will call if I have problems.
    You guys are great on this forum!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Be very careful during any cloning operation. Don't ever use drive letters exclusively to identify drives, especially from any tools operating outside Windows. They may assign letters differently. So use other information, such as the volume name, location, or size, to be sure you are dealing with the correct drives so you don't erase your original by mistake.

There may not be much written on the screen when using these tools, but every word written there is meant to be read and absorbed. :D

7. JMBerg

JMBerg Thread Starter

Thanks for that warning. I'll just put the new one in place of the current slave and should be able to use the same drive letter for it. I installed it a few years ago from my older computer but it's too small.

8. JMBerg

JMBerg Thread Starter

The good news: I got the drive yesterday, installed it and had a little trouble figuring out the jumper settings but just guessed and tried a few different ones till it worked. I went to Disk Management and got it partitioned and named then set XXClone to back it up at night and I had the wonderful message in the morning that it was Successful. I fooled around with the BIOS to set it and finally just exchanged the data plugs from C: to the slave(the new one) and it booted and I have everything so far that I have looked at. I'm having a little trouble getting the booting to go from one to the other with the BIOS setup and I've had to revert to changing the data plug from one to the other but at least I've got a complete, bootable backup with all the programs and data just like my main drive C:. I'm tickled pink and it's bitchin'.
    I am wondering if it's better for wear and tear to leave the new, backup drive disconnected in general. It's so big that I would like to use some of the extra partitions for other data backup or whatever. The important thing to me is to have it as bootable with all my programs etc. There is no end to learning this stuff!

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

The new drive should boot just as the old one did without any BIOS changes if it uses the same connectors (or maybe I don't understand--that's highly possible :D).

Yes, if the other drive is to be used infrequently and you want to save wear and tear, disconnect it completely when not in use. Disconnect both power and the data cable so that in the unlikely event that a power surge damages components, there will be no entry point for that drive.

10. JMBerg

JMBerg Thread Starter

Elvandil, The disconnecting is what I had guessed but I'm glad to hear that you say yes too. I did manage to get the ability to change from one to the other by changing the BIOS but I'd just as soon leave it disconnected for the wear and tear savings. Thanks for all your help and I feel much more secure now.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914522

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice