1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: new hard drive xp , new install, doesnt find hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by timothye, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

hi .
    i have a Compaq nx 7400 .
    i was hahving a lot of problems with the computer so i decided to put a new hard drive in and reinstall XP .
    well i have the new hard drive in and started up the machine and changed the bott options to run from the dvd and all went fine until i should press the ENTER ( return ) button to install XP now . as soon as i did that the next window said no hard drive found . this was also happening on the old hard drive that was in the machine .

im stuck and i dont know what else to try . anyone had this problem before .?

Thanks for any help .
    very strange .
    Timo

2. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
  3. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

HI , i have been tooling aorund the net and found out tht this could be the problem .
    But 1 think i am not sure of . while the install (xp) cd is in the drive how am i supposed to pop it out and put in the new sata controller i ahve downloaded and then put back in the install cd and continue , this machine doesnt have a floppy drive .. maybe usb drive ? or must the install be complete for the Usb drivers . im a bit confused on this 1 .
    thanks m8 for the help
    T

4. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    What you can do is slipstream the drivers into a Windows XP CD.

Extract the SATA drivers to a folder on the desktop (or at least somewhere you can find them later...). Then download and install nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/download.html). Run the program, and follow the prompts through, making sure to add the appropriate drivers when asked to.

What this program does is take an image of your current Windows CD, turning it into an ISO file. It then allows you to add files (such as drivers, updates and Service Packs) to the install, so that when you do the new installation, it is fully up-to-date off the bat.

You then burn the image back to CD, and install as normal.

5. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

thanks .
    Solved

6. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    No problem.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/726533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice