[SOLVED] new hardware

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

joetech

I was able to build a new PC for one of my brothers and installed his old drive along with a new 40G HD. Win98se took it ok.
I'm having trouble with another new PC which has Win95.
The Fdisk says that selecting Large partitions may cause win95 not to work which looks like the problem. I don't want several small partitions. I want at least 20G partitions. Win95 runs in safe mode and then locks up with the hour glass in the middle of a black screen.
Don't know how I can get out of this problem.
Any ideas.

It's a problem with win95 and fat16 drives. See this article which explains it from western digital HERE

joetech

I knew it had to be something like that.
Thanks BrianF.
Now I need to resolve the win95 hangup. I took the new 40G drive out and I'm getting hangup after the Himem scan in safe mode. I need to get the CDRW working in order to get the win98se on the old drive.
?

When you say hang, how long we talking?

After the HIMEM test in safe mode, computers sometimes take a while to get any further - certainly takes a while with mine. Make sure you are leaving it a couple of mins before re-attempting.

Btw, I may have missed it in your post, buy why are you having to run in Safemode?

joetech

Guess I didn't let it run long enough after himem check, it continues to windows. I tried Normal mode and get the 'protection error'. When I restart I get windows in safe mode. I need to run in Normal mode , I think, to get the CDrom to work. ???

You can get the CDROM working in true DOS mode (before Windows boots up). Boot up using a Win98 floppy and you should have the option to start computer with CDROM support. This will load the CD drivers and you can then access your CD at the DOS prompt.

If you are completely over-hauling anyway, you could install your 40GB hard drive, add it into BIOS (Most do this automatically) and boot up using your floppy disk. Then partition your drive, reformat each partition and install Win98 from there.

-THat of course assuming you have a Win98 CD. :)

joetech

I'm building this PC for my brother. I thought I could solve this by using the HD out of my own PC. I installed my 5gig HD as Master with the old 1gig HD as Slave. BIOS shows everything ok. Using a boot floppy I brought up Fdisk which showed my 5g HD as Non-Dos. So problem not solved. On boot up the win95 of the old HD is loaded since the system has the 5g HD as Non-Dos.
Pulled the ribbon on the old HD to use only 5g HD. Received protection error then IOS error. Don't know why the system thinks my 5g HD is Non-Dos, I've been using it for 2 years.
Pulled the ribbon on the 5g HD, now using only the 1g HD.
I get win95 up in safe mode, looked in system properties and it shows Acer Corp. Pentium which is wrong. It has AMD 1.4ghz CPU.
The BIOS has now lost the floppy. I just booted up win in normal mode and install wizard started. After that , it said restart your computer. Restarted and got 'protection error' again.
BIOS shows CDrom, HD, and no floppy.
Don't know what's next.
Recap-
New 40g HD formatted just fine. No problems in Fdisk, but win95 doesn't find drives over 32gig.
After that, I started having problems with win95. Now the BIOS has lost the floppy and the CDrom will not work with any combination of HDs or boot floppy.

joetech

New info;
Not only does win95 have problems with HDs over 32gig, it also has a problem with AMD processors over 350m.
Microsoft has a patch only for Windows 95 version 4.00.9500 B. The download can be found on Microsoft.com web site.
Or just upgrade to Win98.
Thanks for your help.

:D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online