1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New HD in Dell Inspiron 8000 - how to clone old HD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Colt, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Colt

Colt Thread Starter

I'm replacing the 10Gb HD on my old Dell Inspiron 8000 with a new 80Gb HD (both HDs are Hitachi Travelstar).

I was planning on cloning the present HD to my Maxtor 320Gb External HD, and then cloning that to the new 80Gb HD using Maxtor MaxPlus.

I'd appreciate any advice (particularly if there are better ways than I'm planning) on exactly how to do this. And will it be a problem cloning down from the larger external HD to the smaller new HD??

Thanks for your help!

Dell Inspiron 8000
    512Mb RAM
    Win XP Home
    Maxtor MaxPlus

2. arknorth

arknorth

It depends on how you wish to proceed, really - I sell a referbed Dell in my shop, and what the restoring company does is they make a copy of a working operating system and all the optional software they want to provide using Norton Ghost. They manage to stuff all this (XP Pro too) onto a single DVD-R. What you get is not only a transfer disk, but a system recovery disc as well.

A-N

3. parasolution

parasolution

Since you have a Maxtor drive, download the latest cloning tools from their website, its called MaxBlast 5. It's free and is essentially the same program as Acronis True Image.

Don't even clone to the 320GB, just clone the 10GB to the 80GB. The program will then adjust the free space automatically. Then just install the 80GB in place of the 10GB and boot. You may need to have the external 320GB drive turned on in order for the program to work, as it may look for a Maxtor drive.

4. arknorth

arknorth

It's a laptop - he would need a case for the 80GB drive to do that.

A-N

5. parasolution

parasolution

Didn't realize it was a laptop.

Personally I would get a IDE to USB cable adapter. It comes in very handy and one can be picked up for $12-20. I would find one that has both 2.5 and 3.5 IDE connections. That makes it much more versatile for future use.

I've cloned my 30GB laptop hard drive to a new 80GB drive using the cable and maxblast. Just connected the 80GB drive to the 2.5" IDE cable adapter and then connected the cable to the USB port of the laptop. Started Maxblast and started cloning. When it was complete, just removed the original notebook drive and installed the new drive. Everything booted without a hitch.

I've also removed the notebook drive and attached it to a desktop and cloned from the desktop with the adapter cable and maxblast.

I've used that adapter cable more than I thought I would have. It was a good investment.

6. Colt

Colt Thread Starter

I've now installed Maxtor MaxPlus - grateful for that advice, thanks.

In the absence of both - a case for the new HD, and an IDE to USB cable - would it still be possible, using Maxtor Maxplus, to use the Maxtor external HD as a stepping stone? If so, would there then be any problem in stage 2 ie cloning from the 320Gb maxtor to the new 80Gb HD ?? I seem to remember reading somewhere that cloning upwards from smaller to larger HDs was OK - but from larger to smaller wasn't (?).

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

From where will you run the maxtor software after the clone is made?

You can clone from larger to smaller so long as the data area is smaller than the small partition.

8. Colt

Colt Thread Starter

I was planning on creating a bootable CD on the MaxBlast Bootable Media Builder, and running that from the CD Rom. I may be getting out of my depth here, but does that sound feasible?

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, very feasible. Just checking to see if you had thought this through :D

So, make an image (or clone--I'm not sure what Max Blast is capable of, but an image is preferable) on the external, switch drives, and restore the image.

And run chkdsk /f on all the drives involved--you don't want a corrupt image after all that trouble.

Just make the CD and boot it up to be sure that it has the drivers to access the external. If it can't access the external, the plan is sunk.

But, there is another alternative, too. Macrium Reflect is free, has a Linux recovery CD that may have better support for the external, and creates images just like Acronis.

So boot up your recovery CD and see what you see.

10. Colt

Colt Thread Starter

All is well now - did exactly as you said - used the external Maxtot as a stepping stone with Max Blast, and ran chkdsk /f on all drives. Ny new HD installed and running perfectly. Thank you, all - I really appreciated your help!

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Good work, and thanks for the followup. Maybe someone else will be able to follow your trail.

12. GoopyMonkey

GoopyMonkey

Glad to see that this is solved, just adding what I did to copy data from my old hard drive - I used a Linux LiveCD with GParted to just copy over the partition. Hope this helps someone!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/737514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice