1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New HDD Need Help Deciding

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blessedmain911, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blessedmain911

blessedmain911 Thread Starter

Hello. I am looking at two HDDs as a backup drive and maybe temporarily holding an OS. Here they are:
    1) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152137
    2) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148432&Tpk=N82E16822148432

Yes, they are cheap ( I am on a budget of like $50). I need to know should I go with the 500gb 5400rpm Retail or the 400gb 7200rpm recertified.
    Oh and one side question... will these most likely come with a SATA cable?
    Thanks. Input is greatly appreciated.

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

#2 @7200 rpm would b my choice.Not oem so should come with calles

3. frankjohn

frankjohn

CABLES i meant

4. raybro

raybro

Personal opinion.... I would never go with a recertified component as critical as a hard drive. You have absolutely no way of knowing what it has been through nor how many hours it has already had run on it. To me, it just wouldn't be worth the risk.

Raybro

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Me too, I buy recertified systems all the time and have great luck with them but my one exception is recertified drives. The only time I exempted myself and purchased a recertified drive to use as an unimportant scratch disk, it died within a month.

Your results may differ but mine were confirming that its not such a good idea.

6. blessedmain911

blessedmain911 Thread Starter

Alright. Thanks and you're right I'll go with the Samsung cause a hard drive is too important.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/827630

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice