1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New HDD not listed in My Computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LTCSPI40, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LTCSPI40

LTCSPI40 Thread Starter

I just installed a new 320GB (WD3200AA) internal drive to my Dell 8300 running Windows XP SP3. I've followed all the instructions to partition and format the drive first as a Master bootdrive however, Microsoft Office programs would not work. I used a Data Lifeguard Tools program that came with the drive to setup the new drive as a bootable master. I changed the configuration and put the new drive as the slave to the original 60GB. Now, the drive does not show up in MY COMPUTER. I have gone in to the Computer Management/Disk Management feature and assigned new drive letters and rebooted, with no luck, still doesn't list the disk even though visible in Disk Management. Have since reformatted to just use it to store data - not as a boot drive, but it is still not showing in My Computer.
    How do I get MY COMPUTER to list the drive so I can save date to it?

2. LTCSPI40

LTCSPI40 Thread Starter

Isthis problem that hard? or did i just explain it poorly?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Don't use the WD software. Remove all volumes on the drive in Disk Management and then create new one(s). Formatting is part of the wizard if you use NTFS. A quick format is fine if the drive is new.

4. LTCSPI40

LTCSPI40 Thread Starter

Great thanks - that fixed it. and of course, I had forgotten to make the drive "active". Soon as I did that, after formating - it showed up. Thanks for the help.!

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'd avoid the software that comes with drives if I were you. In all cases, if the job can be done by the OS that will use the drive, that is the preferred method. A drive only needs to be "active" if it is the system boot drive.

Thanks for following up.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the button above.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice