1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New high-end PC build, frequent crashes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by syc0path, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

I recently built a high-end PC to process some huge data files (160GB+). The problem is that it crashes anywhere from once to 4-5 times a day. And when I say crash, I mean that it completely freezes -- not even the mouse pointer will move. So I have to hold down the power button to shut it off. That's what leads me to believe that it's a hardware issue.

So far I haven't done any strenuous analyses w/ it... I don't think CPU usage has gotten above 10%! It mostly seems to freeze when 1 process is running and then I try to open another program. For example, the most recent freeze occurred when I was copying a file to the server in the background and I tried to open a text editor.

I found some info online indicating that the voltage to the RAM might be sagging becuz there are 4 sticks, so I bumped the voltage up from 1.5V to 1.5250 and then 1.5375, but that didn't seem to have any effect.

Here are some of the primary components (all of which were purchased from NewEgg):

PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W ATX
    RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory
    Mobo: Intel BOXDX79TO LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
    CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor
    Heatsink: XIGMATEK Dark Knight II SD1283 Night Hawk Edition CPU Cooler with Stealth Aerospace Industry Thermal conductive ceramic coating
    Thermal paste: Arctic Silver AA-1.75G Thermal Compound
    Video card: ASUS EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD3/V2(LP) GeForce 210 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

The rest of the computer consists of 4 Seagate 3TB drives in a RAID 10 configuration, an Areca RAID controller card, a Crucial SSD boot drive, and a basic ASUS DVD-RW drive.

2. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

Any1? Isn't there are least some way to figure out what's causing the crashes, like some kind of monitoring program or something?

3. black-wolf

black-wolf

Run memtest86 http://www.memtest.org/ it's time consuming but I would run it on each individual stick. Any errors means a bad stick.

4. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

I finally remembered something I read in the instructions for the heatsink. It takes about 25 cycles of getting the computer warm and then shutting it down to cool before the thermal grease really fills in around the pipes where the heatsink mounts to the CPU. It's much more stable now.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1056670

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice