1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New home-build doesn't produce video on power-up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Riverglen, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    I've been asked to help a friend's son get his newly built machine running. I haven't seen the machine yet, but the problem seems to be that the machine isn't sending any video signal to the monitor.

I have no experience with putting a machine together. So I asked him some basic questions about the components he used to build the machine and a little more info on the symptoms of the problem. The following is the information I got back:

I asked him what he based is component selections on, and what he chose - -

I researched and selected the parts by hand, as well as with advice from others.

My cpu is an Intel I5-4670k.
    That's cooled by a corsair h100i water cooler.
    My gpu is an Asus 760.
    I've got 2 sticks of corsair ram at 4gb a piece.
    My motherboard is an Asus ROG maximus VI gene.
    Other than that it's pretty standard with an optical drive, a 1 tb hard drive. And a 120gb ssd.

In response to my questions regarding what symptoms he is getting - -

When I boot it up certain fans spin including the power supply, the gpu, and a few to cool the case but some in the case
    don't spin.
    The motherboard lights up but doesn't beep.
    The monitor is brand new and displays a blue screen when inactive it just doesn't recognize that anything is connected
    to it.

I have no experience in selecting compatible, decent quality components, I'd be interested in any opinions regarding whether the selections he made are well chosen. He didn't provide me with any information regarding what he has for the case and power supply. Also, any suggestions regarding what to look for in diagnosing this would be much appreciated. I won't be able to look at the machine until the end of next week.

In the mean time, I'm going to read through the relevant sticky posts in this forum and try to get a little up to speed.

2. Blu_86

Blu_86

Parts are very good but the chosen parts are picked usually with overclocking in mind. What power supply do you have? and what steps do you and he take to remedy?

In this situation the first thing I would do is use the stock heat sink fan and the onboard Intel HD 4600, use one hard drive. What I mean is make sure the PC posts in a very basic configuration outside of the case if you can - I usually use the motherboard box or my own test bench.

Removing the H100i, and any other hard drives except one, and removing the GPU and using onboard provides that basic test configuration to see if the motherboard and ram itself test out ok. If it does, start adding back components starting with the GTX 760. If that posts then add back the H100i. It could also be just the H100i CPU fan cable not connected properly and if the mobo does not sense it it's not going to boot properly usually etc.

First thing though -- put the PC in a very basic bench config. and test with Intel 4600 and one HDD only.

3. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Thanks very much for the quick reply. I'm encouraged to know that there aren't any obvious incompatibilities between the parts he selected. I had the impression the builder was trying to make a super-computer on a high school budget, and may have cut the corners too close.

I asked about the power supply/case he selected, but haven't heard back yet. Likewise don't know what he's done to try to diagnose the problem himself. Suspect not much beyond turning it on and looking for smoke.

Your plan of attack seems very sensible to me. It will be about a week before I can get a look at the machine, but when I do, I'll post back and let you know how we made out.

4. Blu_86

Blu_86

Good plan let us know how the troubleshooting on this issue progresses.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Larry:

The Intel Core i5-4670K 3.80 GHz processor uses up to 84 watts.

The ASUS GeForce GTX 760 graphics card is a dual-width, dual-fan model that uses up to 225 watts and requires a "minimum" of a 500 watt power supply.

Add to that the power requirements of all the other hardware, it's my guess your friend's son skimped on getting a good quality power supply with enough wattage.

----------------------------------------------------------

6. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Frank,

Thanks for the heads-up. I never got an answer from him regarding the power supply or case that he picked. I am going to visit the machine for a first look tomorrow. Sounds like a the suggestions to strip the machine to the bare essentials is a good idea, to wee what happens when the power demand is down.

If you have any suggestions regarding a power supply choice, I'd be interested in hearing them. Is case/supply mounting compatibility likely to be an issue if he went with a cheap case?

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I've never replaced/upgraded a power supply, so I can't give you any advice on which brand/model to buy. :eek:

----------------------------------------------------------

8. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Well, based on your original post, it sounds like a realistic minimum is 650 watts.

Just spent a few minutes looking around Tiger Direct, and there are about a zillion choices, and a pretty wide range of prices. The bottom end is probably junk. Question is, what is the sweet spot between junk and Cadillac?

9. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Heard back from the system builder, and it looks like I can rule out a wimpy psu as the cause of the problem. His choice was a Corsair AX760i platinum certified. That's worth about 750 watts, and from the info I could find on like looks like quality to my minimally educated eye.

10. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    As blu_86 said at the start. The place to start here is to strip it down to a basic setup and test that, if that works, then start adding parts one at a time, start up again until the problem presents itself again.

If you follow this thread it should identify the culprit.

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/580000-troubleshooting-guide-problem-builds.html

- Check the CPU is installed correctly, its easy to get wrong and it won't post.
    - What is the model and speed of the RAM?
    - PSU is a good one but that still doesn't guarantee its working correctly, even the best ones sometimes have dodgy units that slip through the net :)

11. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Well, I went out and had a look at the problem, and I think we're out of the woods. Took the advise to back off to a minimal set up by removing the video card and the water cooler, replacing it with a more or less standard heat sink and fan that came with the CPU.

Having done that, we discovered several cables that were overlooked in the initial assembly, the most important of which was an 8 pin "CPU power" cable. Also, several cables providing power to one or more of the drives needed to be connected, so it is no wonder that the thing wouldn't come up.

I've never assembled a machine from scratch, and I was kind of shocked at how inadequate the documentation that came with the components was. The CPU came with an installation booklet that contained nothing beyond a few ambiguous figures, supported by now explanatory verbiage whatsoever. The board has a pretty thick manual, but I didn't find any very useful guide for putting a machine together.

But we got the on-board video working, got the thing to POST, and got into the machine set-up screen to at least specify the the intended boot drive is the SSD drive. So now it's down to reassembly and configuration.

I suggested to the builder that it would a good idea to join this forum and track down this thread if he has additional questions or problems. He's likely to get more expert help here than he will from me.

Best advise I can give him is, "slow down". :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145635

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice