1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New HP

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by crussell97, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crussell97

crussell97 Thread Starter

My dad got a new computer at Christmas. It's an HP 2.93 Ghz P-4 512K, but I don't think that matters. The 'problem' is that there are so many programs installed on it that seem to be selling something or just things he will never use. When I run Ad-Aware it says I have 2208 Process modules and 54 Processes running. Will removing some of this stuff make his computer run better? Can I just go to the add/remove programs and remove them? Is that the best way? Will everything come off? If that is the way to go can I post a list of what I'm planning on removing to make sure I'm not deleting something important? Thanks!
    Claudia

2. Miz

Miz

Yes, the first step is to go through the Add/Remove Programs list and start uninstalling. Be sure to have your dad with you because something you think is useless he might want to keep.

I advise my customers to dump all the stuff they don't want as soon as they get the computer up and running. That way, if it does mess the operating system, there's no data to be lost.

If it came with a trial version of McAfee or Norton, I find it's usually best, if the owner has used the computer awhile (installed some of their own stuff) and doesn't intend to pay for a subscription when the trial expries, to disable it and leave it installed. Both Norton and McAfee can be bears to uninstall.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice