1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New ISP/Old Email

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by georgeg2000, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. georgeg2000

georgeg2000 Thread Starter

After years of dial-up connections, I've finally signed up for DSL with a different provider than my dial-up ISP. My DSL is ATT/Yahoo. I would like to retain my old ISP for the near future because I'm registered under that email address in many places. I've figured out how to download email from my old provider but I can't seem to send new email. When I try it, I get an error message about the connection timing out. For what its worth, I'm sharing my DSL connection between two computers at home using a Linksys WRT54GS router and matching Linksys WPC54GS pci adapter card. So, is this possible? My default email program is Eudora Pro in paid mode.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    a lot of dialup companies in UK lock there email in that way

so you can receive the emails from the account on any ISP but not send emails

i assume you have set up the SMTP and MAIL server address on your new email client and using on your new DSL

BUT
    at least you could send the new email to people letting them know of you email address change
    It may be possible your old ISP would be able to enable you new ISP to connect to the send server

3. Augie65

Augie65

Like etaf said, you may not be able to use the email on your computer.
    If your old ISP has web mail, you probably can still use it there. My old dial-up email address is
    still active on the web even after I dropped their service for my broadband, but I can't use it on my computer.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    See if you can access your old ISP's mail server on port #587 instead of the usual port #25. If you can not do that, then you need to ask AT&T to unblock port 25 for your account.

Why am I unable to send email via other university, company or mail hosting provider mail servers (Port 25 block)
    http://help.sbcglobal.net/article.php?item=4640

5. georgeg2000

Well, using port #587 didn't help. I finally have noticed that I can't download or send email on my new AT&T/Yahoo account using their pop servers. And their tech support doesn't support Eudora so they aren't any help. I may try having port 25 unblocked but if I can't use the AT&T pop server for their own email, then I'm just spinning my wheels. It should be possible to use Eudora for both accounts. (AT&T used to support Eudora, but currently doesn't. I wish I had known that before I signed up with them.)

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Maybe their phone support people don't know how to support Eudora but AT&T/Yahoo says you should be able to access the server with Eudora. You do need to enable POP3/SMTP access through the webmail interface before using any POP3/SMTP client. When in the web mail screen click on "Options" and then choose POP "Access and Forwarding". You should get the same kind of screen as shown in my attached picture (with Eudora highlighted).

Attached Files:

7. georgeg2000

By properly setting up my identities in Eudora, I have been able to download my email from my old ISP but still can't send email to that ISP. And of course, I can't send or receive on my AT&T account using Eudora. Sigh.... On my wife's computer, I finally broke down and set up her accounts using Outlook Express. Whereupon, she informed me she didn't like the default user name I setup for her so I get to do it all over again with a different name! Aggggh! I checked the options selected on the web mail screen and I had already chosen the Pop "Access and Forwarding". There has got to be a way but right now, I'm stumped.

8. georgeg2000

Well, after much travail, I can finally receive and send email thru ATT/Yahoo but only using Outlook Express. After spending an hour or more talking to a tech (in India, I believe) he finally gave up and referred me to ATT Support +, a pay per incident support service. I hate to pay for something they should supply as part of the fee but it was more important to get my wifes and my computers connecting properly. So, after another hour or so we finally got OE to work so I guess my problem is sort of fixed, but I'd still prefer to use another email program. I've tried Thunderbird, Netscape Mail and of course Eudora and can't get any of them to send email.

I guess the moral of my story is, if you're going to sign up with AT&T/Yahoo DSL (great speed, reasonable price), you'd better be willing to use Outlook or Outlook Express. (Yuck!)

9. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi georgeg2000

After getting the correct server settings in Outlook Express and it works...what happens when you use those same settings in Thunderbird?
    Are you receiving any error messages when you attempt to send messages?

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I have been using Thunderbird to send and receive e-mails for my SBC/Yahoo account since June 2005 with no problems at all. I also have Thunderbird sending and receiving e-mails on other accounts (like gmail and my work account) while connected on my ATT/SBC DSL line at home.

My e-mail account domain is sbcglobal.net and I don't know if other domains behave differently.

For my SBC account, Thunderbird's Account settings are:

Server Type: POP3
    Server Name: pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
    Port: 110 (default)
    User name: my_full e-mail_address
    Never use secure connection

Outgoing Server (SMTP)
    Server Name: smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
    Port: 587
    Security and Authentication
    -- Use Name and Password
    -- User name: my_full e-mail_address
    Secure Connection
    -- Use TLS if available

11. georgeg2000

OK, that worked for sending. At least I was able to send a test message to my wife's old account and it sent OK. However, I still can't receive email with Thunderbird. When I select "Get Mail", I get an error message that the connection was refused. I don't see any difference in my settings but I'm probably missing something.

12. georgeg2000

When I try to get new mail, I'm getting a connection refused message. Changing my settings to match Chuck's, I managed to send a message so maybe it is possible.

13. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Do your e-mail addresses exactly end in @sbcglobal.net or something else? The incoming server's name may be different for something else.

I don't use Thunderbird at work. I'll check my other settings at home this evening.

14. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    georgeg2000,

I got your PM about your problems adding to the thread. If you can read this, I didn't have any problems adding to it.

It looks like SBC/Yahoo offers a step-by-step tutorial for setting up different e-mail clients.

The introduction and a link to the tutorial is at:

http://help.sbcglobal.net/article.php?item=290

15. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Again,

Here are the screen captures of my Thunderbird (ver. 1.5.0.9) Account Setting for my SBC/Yahoo account.

I have also included the Account settings screen for another account I have on MyRealBox.com. You will notice that it uses the SBC/Yahoo mail server for my outgoing messages. As far as I can tell, MyRealBox.com does not support sending e-mails on server port 587. That is why I have to go through the SBC server.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice