1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) New ISP

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by brownie, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brownie

brownie Thread Starter

For the past three years Earthlink has been my ISP. I changed to peoplepc.com this month and service with Earthlink ends 12/30. My problem is that Outlook Express, Internet Explorer, and various sites I go to say they are provided by Earthlink. What happens when my service with Earth. terminates. Shouldn't the new ISP provide these services? When I contact their tech support service I get a different answer and solution each time. One tech had me change various settings, another told me to have Earth. remove the software from my pc, front and back and the last told me "no problem accessing as long as I don't have to log in with user name". Can anyone tell me what I should do and how or if I will be able to access the various sites. I am desperate!!!

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

well if you used a CD when you got earthlink you may possible need to reach them to uninstall their setup... as for Outlook Express you can put hotmail on it if you want... and adding your current ISP mail address to OE depends on whether they have e-mail service

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Have you setup a connect for the new ISP... and did he furnish you the acct info to setup an e-mail account for yourself

4. brownie

brownie Thread Starter

Savvy Lady: Yes, I have an account set up since 12/5 and the new ISP gave me a user name, password , etc, but when I go into Outlook Express to r ead or send email it still shows across the top "Outlook Express provided by Earthlink Network", same with Internet Express and about anything else I try to get into. Yes, the service from Earth. was installed from a disc they sent me (three years ago).

5. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

you installed their software then... it shouldn't matter though...

did the new ISP also provide you with the account settings for their SMTP & pop3 service

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

it should probably be something like ...
    pop.peoplespc.net
    smtp.peoplespc.net

7. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Are you receiving e-mail here from techguy.org everytime someone post to this thread? go check & see... provided you have it set up

8. brownie

brownie Thread Starter

Savvy: Thank you for your replies. The one tech I spoke with at the new ISP went through and had me change many settings. Since I am a real neophyte where my pc is concerned I haven't been able to locate where the SMTP and pop3 settings are again but I'm sure those were two of the changes he had me make. Sorry to sound so dumb (but I hope to learn more and more). This help site has gotten me out of more than one mess. My thanks to all of you and no doubt you will be hearing from me again and again.

9. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

brownie is your e-mail working??? if you like send me an e-mail & I cab reply to it as a test
    or better yet you can send yourself an e-mail from right clicking on something & then click send to... e-mail recipient

10. brownie

brownie Thread Starter

Savvy: Just read your post before last one and I checked my email and did not have a message that someone had posted. I used to get these messages but sure didn't tonite. I just kept coming back to the site to see if anyone had replied. Do you know of a reason why I am not getting the message? Sounds like things are really fouled up here on my pc.

11. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

let me check something... I'll send you a message to your e-mail from here

12. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

ok brownie... heres why!!

TSG Forums Message
    Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails through this board. If you still wish to send an email to this user, please contact the administrator and they may be able to help.

to enable it go to user cp & then to your details etc...

Edit Options
    then Edit profile

13. brownie

brownie Thread Starter

Savvy: Help! How do I change that no email message? I don't know when or how such transpired.

I just looked at the bottom of this page and under OPTIONS it is checked that I will get email notifications. Anything I can do?

Sent myself and email and it came thru ok.

14. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

yea.... on the top of this page right hand side go to user cp
    then go to edit Options ... click the option to recieve mail
    then Edit profile... check & see if your e-mail address is correct

at the bottom of each window... you have to update the changes

15. brownie

brownie Thread Starter

Whew! Went through and did the Edit Options and Edit Profile. Hope all will be in order again. Thanks loads, Savvy.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice