Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] New kind of Blue Screen!!!!!!

9K views 73 replies 5 participants last post by  Backspace 
#1 ·
Hello,

Can this be a virus?

Upon booting up (Desktop PC) , everything progresses as normal and gets 30 seconds into opening the Windows screen and then goes to an error message on a blue screen that says:

Can't start windows.....

STOP ERROR COOOO218 REGISTERY FILE FAILURE .. CANNOT LOAD HIVE(FILE) SYSTEMROOT SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SECURITY OR ITS'S LOG OR ALTERNATIVE... BEGINNING DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY TO DISK: (COUNTDOWN)
Then it counts to 100.

then goes into disk check and the disk check says it finds no problems....... eventually just circles in an endless loop and repeats this whole thing. Never gets to the desktop.
I called MSFT WinXP support and attempted a repair to no avail. Of course they always suggest a clean install to wipe out the harddrive. And say it's a HARDWARE PROBLEM!

So the computer I am on now is my laptop.

Should I install a different harddrive in and slave my current one so that I can access it? then remove the old installation of XP on the slave? I do not know how to go about this whole procedure.

Please HELP!

See less See more
#4 ·
I went to safemode.... chose the last known configuration. But it didn't phase it.

the file link you sent would not download:confused:

#6 ·
it's blank

#7 ·
Ok Is see you need to have microsoft word to get the page to load..

Here is step one :

Ø Boot to the Windows XP CD
Ø Choose “R” to repair the install
Ø choose “1: c:\windows”
Ø Enter the XP administrator password (don’t know the password?? Go here )
Ø You will get the “C:\windows” prompt
Ø You’ll need to type each of these commands one line at a time and press enter after typing each line. Then type Y to confirm the file overwrite.

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Ø Type: exit The console will close. Remove the CD and reboot the machine. XP should now start and we can move on to step two.
B

#8 ·
the tech did that exact thing with me..... but it didn't help but he said leave the cd in the drive.. first he had me make a .bak version and then this one and I don't seem to remeber anything about Y to confirm.

#10 ·
ok.... let me try it again.

#11 ·
There may be one other way but be careful and do not go on your own here but follow the commands exactly as well see if we can overwrite xp...

Boot the pc with the xp cd:

select enter to install xp.

On the next screen press enter to start windows setup (do not choose repair at this screen)

Accept the agreement (EULA)

HERE is the most important screen....... If the option to repair is given choose it and if not quit as you will have to loose everything. Escape from this screen.

#12 ·
We did that also

#15 ·
I am typing to you on a Laptop with XP. Right now the Windows setup is up on the sick one....... loading files

#18 ·
When the checkdisk checked the drive... it tested with a few errors and then repaired them.... and the first time It checked it .. it said it had no problems. So I should reinstall xp?.... if so ... I want to do it on a new Master HDD and slave this one

#20 ·
I didn't go there again. When trying to enter the steps above.. it says system cannot find the file specified.

I wish I had come here first

#21 ·
Ok in your laptop go to control panel and folder options. Click on view and uncheck the "do not show hidden fles and folders " option and click ok.
Now load a floppy in the drive and right click it from my computer and select format. enter yes to the prompt.

Now go to start/ search and search for ntdetect.com , ntldr, and boot.ini. When each are found right click and select copy then paste them in the floppy in my computer.

#22 ·
I am formating the floppy... I cannot get the windows to close that are pertaining to the link you sent me. Hmmm?

#24 ·
One found: boot.ini backup

#26 ·
Uh... this is on my laptop? and then what ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.