[SOLVED] New kind of Blue Screen!!!!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Backspace

Lyn
Murphy's Law:

I was trying to test the "new" HD in my other system but having no luck to install xp on it becaue the cdrom is not recognised. I can't install xp until cdrom is up.

I did not want to install this pulled HD (into ASUS system) until It was configured.

I need help with preparing it.... so far.... (it's the WD 3G) .. and is there enough room for the XP +upgrades even after all this is done? needs 1.5G is all...... just wondering.

I finally got this far with a system disk .... the dir of C:

[Q]
Volume in drive C is MS-RAMDRIVE

ATTRIB EXE
CHKDSK EXE
COMMAND COM
DEBUG EXE
EDIT EXE
EXTRACT EXE
FORMAT COM
HELP
MSCDEX EXE
README TXT
RESTART COM
SCANDISK EXE
SCANDISK INI
SYS COM

15 FILES(S)
0 DIR(S)

[/Q]

So, Is that what I want... I did a scandisk and it says the drive shows no problems... but earlier it was not recognised.

I tried A:\>format C: /s

and it came back :

Format not supported on Drive C:
Format terminated

I am not having any fun........ I can bolt 'em together but then I'm in the dark. So what next? Sorry to be so bad at this.

BRB

ntldr is on the root of your boot partition...

if you are able to get in to safe mode, do not reformat and whack that system, the problem can be solved
alt+F4 to close active windows

Can you boot into safe mode??

Backspace

Lyn
1)Unable to go to safemode on this drive... on regular bootup.. the HD is not recognised.... I get the message:

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

I can only access the C: drive by using the boot disk

2) I get the same message after "format C:" (without /s)

Format terminated

The reason I want to get XP on the drive before I put it into the other system is because the ASUS P4G8x does not support WIN98 or earlier.d

I get the message that C: does not have a valid FAT or FAT32 file.
and that diagnostic tools were loaded successfully to dirve C:

So the drive is recognised . ................... if I could get the CD Rom up then I could use the WINXP install disk....

:confused:

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I replied to your PM, but I thought you said the hard drive was 10gig :confused:

Post the reader's digest version of your situation, my brain is fried today ;) 5 pages is too much to grasp.

Backspace

Lyn
Hi Candy....

Ok... forget most of it... but these are the basics:

1-Registry failure on original HDD
2-Tried to do a repair install=failed
3-want to save data on ill HDD so found 10BG (3GB no good) so I can do WINXP install on it and access the other one.
4-did fdisk on 10GB... says already partitioned. (didn't do format...should I have???)...probably huh?
5-Trying to do New install of WINXP onto 10GB HDD
6-screen hangs after PCI device listing with a blinking curser only... even whether I boot with out disks or with disks... WINXP or BOOTdisk....every which way....

ARRRRGGGGGHHHH! :(

So how the heck do I get this WINXP installed on here and go lay in the Hammock..... with 10 Margies?:p HMMMM?

Backspace

Lyn
Here's what is going on now.... [Q]Setup cannot read the CD or the CD is not a valid Windows CD... insert WINXP disk[/Q]

I have 2 different XP install disks.... neither will work... What now??? I think this is a virus in here...

Backspace

Lyn
XP installing... Don't ask me what I did... all I know is it's installing. ...so far so good. I tried the same procedure once more and it worked. Disks were recognised. :eek: :rolleyes: :p

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
So, the end result???? :)

Sorry I got called away last night.....trouble setting up the new digital camera, then of course had to play with it :D

Backspace

Lyn
Success on FINALLY formatting and installing the new clean install of WINXP!:D :cool: Thanks everyone.

NOW...... the mission is to access the ill Harddisk. I have been away all day but now I suppose the task is to install it now as the slave drive. I can do the physical install but DO NOT HAVE A CLUE as to what I do after that.

Ultimately I want to have the OS on the 10GB Master and the data files etc on the slave. (I will need to remove the old WINXP OS from the slave. )

I do not have any experience with how that kind of a setup functions.... I have only had a one HDD system configuration.

Anything you can let me know about this will be greatly appreciated.
:)

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Install it as slave to access files on it.

Then the best route is to format it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online