1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New Laptop Boots Twice

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Kolias, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

My new Asus laptop does not crash anymore as per my previous thread but most of the times boots twice and only after a shutdown. So I press the power ON button, type my password and then the login screen comes on, I type my login password, hit enter and the screen and lights (hdd, power, wireless) go blank like there is no power and she restarts. I do the same process and now its ok.

I have set the "Hybrid Shutdown" future from the power features to OFF and that provided some improvement. With this feature ON when I press the power ON button, the boot process runs for a few seconds and then it re starts and then its ok. (it still double boots but I dont get to the login screen)

I'm looking to find out if there are any additional settings to fix this problem. Besides the above the laptop runs very good

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    What is this first "Password" entry that you are making?

3. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

I call it a BIOS password because I set it inside my BIOS. There are two option in there, one is the Admin password and the other is the User password. The Admin password is used to access the BIOS settings only and the User password is used to access the system. My BIOS is American Megatrends V202, Aptio setup utility (UEFI Booting).

4. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

You gave me an idea Dave and so I removed the user password from the BIOS and left only the Administrator (required to enter BIOS). Looks better because the laptop did not boot twice so far but its too early to say since before it was only booting twice at random. In another 2 days I will know for sure.

However not having the User password I feel that the system is not protected as much, what do you think?

5. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Unfortunately the laptop booted twice again so the User password in the BIOS was not the cause.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    I was thinking it may be the BIOS password, but I needed to ask, as very few people use that these days.

Some times when getting updates the machine may need to be restarted, is this machine current with ALL updates from MS?

7. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Thanks Dave, I do all updates as they come and they are a lot since the laptop is new, I guess. I also updated my BIOS yesterday from 202 to 204 and that went fine.

I think the problem I have is related to the power settings. When I had the rebooting problem I had chosen “High Performance” and couple days ago I change it to “Balanced (Recommended)”. Since then the double booting disappeared.

Yesterday along with the updates was an ASUS utility called “Power4Gear” and this utility changed my power setting to “Power4Gear Battery Saving”. Still the laptop boots normal so far.

There is another setting called “Power4Gear Entertainment” and I plan to try it sometimes next week after I’m sure that the double booting is gone.

I don’t really care about battery power because most of the times I use the laptop plugged to the wall outlet but I want to try the Entertainment setting to see if there is a performance change.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1134278

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice