1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New Laptop with vista help

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dave.23, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dave.23

dave.23 Thread Starter

I just bought a Toshiba Satellite L300D for a backup machine i came with vista installed but i need it to run xp as the software i need only runs on xp not vista.

I have made recovery disc but exploring the disc i cant see vista on it, so this leeds me to think if i format hdd and install xp i wont in future be able to use the recovery disc to install vista again, would i be right and if so is there anyway i can get a copy of vista off the machine for future use?

Dave

2. dave.23

dave.23 Thread Starter

I just spoke to toshiba tech support and my machine dosn't support xp:( they suggested i use virtual pc have any of you any expirience with it?

Dave

3. 1stoptek

1stoptek

The first thing you should do is make sure you can get all of the WindowsXP drivers for your computer. If you can, then a better option for you is to have Vista and XP on your computer. Click here to check out this site for instructions on how to dual-boot with both operating systems.

This way you won't have to worry about recovery disk issue and you can have the best of both worlds.

There is no way to get a copy of Vista off of your machine, but you should have a recovery partition on you computer that will put everything back to the way it came to you if everything goes bad. Some brands will create a recovery disk that will have Vista and everything else that came stock with the computer, and some will only back up the the features that are specific to the model that you have when you use the recovery partition. If you need Vista just in case, call Toshiba and request it and it should be much, much cheaper than buying your own copy of Vista.

4. dave.23

dave.23 Thread Starter

As i said in post #2 Toshiba Tech Support say that my machine is not compatible with xp.
    The Hdd is already partitiond with C:,D: & E:, i wondered about trying to install xp on D: but they said you can dual boot from an xp machine into vista but not vista into xp.

Whats your comments?

Dave

5. 1stoptek

1stoptek

6. dave.23

dave.23 Thread Starter

7. 1stoptek

1stoptek

Check to see which partition is your recovery partition. That could be your recovery partition. You might need that. If its not and you're sure, then see if the partition is big enough and you can install it there

8. BMR528

BMR528

I would suggest that you downlaod VMWARE server, It's free and then you can set up a virtual XP installation, I have about 8 Virtual machines setup on my Vista workstation and use them for different support situations,

Goto http://www.vmware.com/products/server/ and download the Free package, you will have to register (of course) and you will get some serial numbers that you will enter at some point during the install, Once you have it installed, then create a new virtual machine and install XP on it. I can't speak as to driver problems, but I have several XP VM on my Vista system and encountered no problems, Be aware that you can only access 2 USB ports, also my Sound card does not work in the VM, I don't care about the sound as I don't need it anyway

9. dave.23

dave.23 Thread Starter

I think E: is my recovery partition as i cant access it, but i can access C:(vista) and D:(empty) C: & D: are both the same size so plenty room on D:. Think i'll try and install onto D: if it fails i still got the recovery disc i made.

Dave

10. dave.23

dave.23 Thread Starter

I have managed to find most xp drivers so decided to install xp on second partition.
    Booted with xp disc in drive setup loaded all files but as soon as it said setup starting windows i get BSOD, i have tried 3 times but it always happens at same point.

Any ideas?

Dave

11. 1stoptek

1stoptek

I don't know exactly all of the steps you took to install xp on that partition to know what may have happened. First, you may want to see if you can boot into safe mode with command prompt and format drive d: to get XP off of there. If the computer still blue screens, the only suggestion I can give is to reload Vista by using the recovery partition and format the drive D: and start over. I would also go back over the instructions on how to dual-boot a computer. If you have any valuable data on it, I would back up the data with an external hard drive enclosure onto another computer and then burn it. I know you're not stupid and I'm stating the obvious, but at this point this is all I've got.

12. dave.23

dave.23 Thread Starter

I didnt do anything to any of the existing partitions or vista system all i did was put xp disc into drive booted from it and it just loaded the files as normal then as it said "setup is now starting windows" thats when i get the error.

I didnt get as far as formating or choosing a partition to install xp onto.

I removed the xp disc and booted back into vista and everything is as it was, vista on C: and D: empty.

13. dave.23

dave.23 Thread Starter

Im having problems with the page you mention above as it takes forever to load if it loads at all!

Dave

14. 1stoptek

1stoptek

15. dave.23

dave.23 Thread Starter

I still cant get any further, i was wondering if it might be a SATA hdd and i need to load drivers? how can i find out if its a SATA or not?

Dave

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice