1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New Laptop with XP pro...no recovery disk.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by iagoman, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iagoman

iagoman Thread Starter

First Name:
    Steve
    My old laptop died and I now have a brand new, factory sealed Toshiba Satellite Pro, model L300.
    It came with trial versions of MS Office. I don't want to use the trial version since I have a perfectly good version that I porchased a few years ago. (It's the Teacher and student Edition 2003.) At first I tried installing the 2003 version that I own. It seems to go through
    the install procedure to the end, but when I try to open OUTLOOK, I get an error that states the MAPI32.DLL" is corrupt.
    I spoke with Toshiba but they were not a great help. The told me to go the ADD?Remove and remove the MSOFFICE trial version, which I did. I also removed the 2003 Version
    so that I could "start from scratch", so to speak, trying to keep things "graceful".
    The same error occurs after installing the 2003 software, and oddly, some of the
    2007 software still seems to be there!. Probably residing in the registry somewhere.

What I want to do is set this laptop back to the factory settings, but since it did not come with a Windows XP/Pro cd, I'm stuck. Are there files on the laptop that allow the system to go back to it's original setting? (Restore points are not an option, since there isn't one.).
    Additionally, I can't get on the net if Zone Alarm is running. Have to kill it, then get on. AVG runs ok.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

On the start / programs menu, is there a Toshiba area? Perhaps there is a restore option there, or an option to create a restore cd?

3. iagoman

iagoman Thread Starter

First Name:
    Steve
    Hi AcaCandy,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I've followed your comments and advice for a long while. You are quite knowledgeable, I wish I were so.
    There is nothing on the Start menu that indicates Toshiba had left an option to do what you suggest.
    I plan on calling the site where I purchased the laptop (BeachCamera.com). I've purchased from them in the past and they are usually helpful, regrettably they are closed for the Jewish holidays, so I have to wait until Thurs AM to contact them.
    I'll post back with any results.
    Thanks,

4. ~Candy~

Thanks for the kind words :eek:

I have a Toshiba too, it should have come with a restore cd, at least mine did.

That is probably the best idea, and I have purchased from them as well. I always love the fact that I can ring them on Sundays :D

At least, I think they are the ones :)

5. iagoman

iagoman Thread Starter

First Name:
    Steve
    Toshiba is sending me an XP Pro CD. Just a few minutes ago, I discovered what you suggested is true, there is a way to burn recovery disks. My bad, as the kids say.
    I'll try that, and keep the cd Toshiba sends as a backup. Thanks again for your assistance, once again, you were correct.
    Steve

6. iagoman

iagoman Thread Starter

First Name:
    Steve
    I noticed that I had changed my computer specs on my account, but the old stuff
    still shows up as part of my signature. ????

7. iagoman

iagoman Thread Starter

First Name:
    Steve
    AH, never mind... I repaired it. I'm recovering from a nasty cold and my mind is not totally in gear.

8. ~Candy~

(y) You're welcome.

P.S. You can mark the thread solved right above your first post.

9. ~Candy~

Also, in reading your first post again, you mentioned Zone Alarm. There was an update of Windows that broke Zone Alarm, and folks couldn't get on the internet. I believe there is now a new version, or a patch of some sort for Zone Alarm that fixes that problem.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice