1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New Log on viruses....

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Roe727, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Roe727

Roe727 Thread Starter

Here's that log...

Attached Files:

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Thanks. I asked the Mods to close the other Thread. I'll be back in a while after I read this.

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Sometimes Norton can give you a false positive. I am still reading, but see no mention of dell.dll being loaded.

This computer looks to be a dell. You say it is a protected system file.

Have a look in this folder:
    System32\dllcache

See if you find the files in question. Let me know.

Can you copy them?

4. Roe727

Roe727 Thread Starter

It is a dell. But there is no system32/dellcache, but I did find a dellsys.dll, which I couldn't open, it says it is an application extension....no luck there.

THe other files (dell.dll and designer.dll), no I can't copy it won't let me.

Have to scoot out with the hubby for a bit....I'll check this later, probalby won't be doing too much more tonight though, busy night.

Thanks.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hubby???? :eek:

I had you pegged for a him :eek:

Lol....sorry about that :)

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Ok. Let's call it a night. We can start again tomorrow. Mornings are usually not good for me though. Afternoons are best. I'll post a file or two for you later. You can pick up the instructions in the AM and I'll be there later to follow up.

If you have a dell, you may have a hidden partition with the backup files. Also dllcache is a hidden folder. So make sure you have hidden folders set to show. I think we did that already.

You can try a search for
    dell.dll and designer.dll
    See if they show up anywhere else.

I am in the US . Eastern Standard Time.

7. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Also, I followed the link you gave me. But this is the wrong forum. I'll ask a Mod to move it back to Security.

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

9. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Candy,

LOL It happens. Thanks for the link.

Roe,
    Here we go with more directions.

I am attaching a zip file. Extract the reg file it contains. Its name is Leave.reg

Double click on leave.reg and say yes to the confirmation boxes when they appear.

Also, go back and find roe.reg again. Double click on that file too. I want to be sure it enters. The problem with regedit earlier may have interfered.

Let's clean up her uninstall key to remove extras from the Add Remove Programs list.

I need to see a registry key to do that.

Go to Start >Run and type regedit.

Press enter.
    Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Right click on uninstall and select Export. Save to the desktop.

Right click on the saved reg file and select Send to >Compressed.

This will create a new compressed file. Attach that file to your next reply. I'll use it to create a removal for the orphans.

Are you able to transfer files to her machine? Using the CD Drive for example.

Let me know how everything goes.

Attached Files:

10. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

That folder you wanted was not dellcache.

It was dllcache. I just noticed your post.

Look for a Folder in system32 named
    DLLCACHE

See if it contains dell.dll and designer.dll

In fact here's a trick

Go to Start > Run
    Paste in the following and press enter.
    Explorer.exe /n,/e,/select, C:\windows\system32\dllcache

This will open a Windows Explorer window with the folder dllcache highlighted in the right pane.

11. Roe727

Roe727 Thread Starter

Actually I knew that it was system32\dllcache. That file wasn't there and since I was in the "d's"....I just happened to see those other ones...lol

Yes Candy...I'm a 41 y/o female...married almost 20 years, 2 teenagers and watch 7 children on a daily basis....but still sane...imagine that, lmao. Although when that thread disappeared, I was beginning to wonder and it was just YOU.....thanks for letting us have the link back. :)

Back to the computer here, we did already set to show the hidden files. I searched for the dell.dll and designer.dll files and the only place they are is in the C:\Program Files\Common Files...humm

I'm in Eastern Standard Time also....and afternoons are good, naptime. :)

Sorry about putting it in the wrong forum.

I'll work on the other things and post when I'm done, either tonight or tomorrow morning. Have a great night.

12. Roe727

Roe727 Thread Starter

Sorry...the leave.reg didn't work, I downloaded it from the link and then doubleclicked and it said...Registry Editor...Are you sure you want to add the information to the registry, I clicked Yes and then I get another screen that says: Cannot export A:leave.reg: The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor. Let me know what to do with this.

I clicked on the roe.reg again and took care of that.

Talk to you soon.

13. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Let me check it and I'll upload a new one. Watch for one more post.

Also, delete C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DOOLSAV.DAT
    When you ran the l2mfix you have a ton of problems interfering. But you do have a lot of leftover files I would like it clear up.

On your desktop, rename the l2mfix folder as oldl2mfix
    Find l2mfix.exe and double click on it. It will create a new l2mfix folder on the desktop.

Double click l2mfix.bat and select option #1 for Run Find Log by typing 1 and then pressing enter

Post the contents of the file which will open in notepad when it finishes.

14. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Let's try the registry again. Download the zip and extract the reg file. Be sure you extract the registry file first.

It is named againleave.reg

Double click on againleave.reg to enter into the registry. Say yes to the confirmation box.

Can you right click on dell.dll and choose send to Compressed? This would create a comressed copy of the file. Would it be possible to copy that compressed file to your computer in its compressed form using a CD burner and email it to me?

Katie_3232 @hotmail.com

I added a space to the email address. If you remove it, the address will work.

If so, try the other file, designer.dll too. If no joy, we may have to blindly remove the files using recovery Console. Do you have the install CD for this computer? I mean a regular Windows XP CD and not a recovery CD.

Attached Files:

15. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I take it you tried to import from a floppy? Be sure to copy the file to the hard drive and then doulbe click on it. There was nothing wrong with that file. Must have been a glitch. Says Export, not import.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice