1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New logon script on server 2003

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by lufkinp6, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lufkinp6

lufkinp6 Thread Starter

Hello, I am trying to make a log on script that looks to see what the username is that is loging on. and then takes that and maps their documents. for example. I log on with the user name tlufkin. Their documents would be located on my server at \\server\tlufkin. How can i get the script to do this. but change the location depending on who is logging on. A working example would be great. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. eventIDxxx

eventIDxxx

Try something like this:

net use H: \\server\%username%

But u can assign the folder in AD user profile settings, Home folder
    [​IMG]

3. Rockn

Rockn

Why not just do folder redirection??

4. lufkinp6

lufkinp6 Thread Starter

what do you mean by folder redirection do you mean changing the my documents folder to their documents on the server every time they log on?

5. Rockn

Rockn

Folder redirection via Group Policy. It will redirect their My Documents folder to a location you choose on the server, it is a one time thing and will always be on the server. No scripting neccesary if you have Active Directory set up correctly.

6. lufkinp6

lufkinp6 Thread Starter

That sounds like a good idea can you give me some instructions on how to go about doing that. I love one time things. It makes the work so much easier.

7. Rockn

Rockn

This is basic network admin stuff. Look up folder redirection on Google because there is a lot more to it than simple instructions. You can also mess things up royally if you do not know what you are doing. Create a test user and a test OU in AD to start with and test out your redirection results.

You will also need to creat a share on your server for the redirection to go to. I generally create a share called redirection and give only authenticated users full access and let AD take care of the security for the new user folders created in that share.

8. lufkinp6

lufkinp6 Thread Starter

thanks for the help i got it up and running just fine.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice