1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: new maxtor 200 GB hard drive ..?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by timothye, Feb 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

i have just installed a new maxtor HD . and it isnt viewable in my computer .. but i do see it in the device manager , i have tried all three settings . master cable select and slave . none of the setting would allow me to see the HD in my computer .. but asi say . i can see it in the device manager ..
    would like to get this space available . any thoughts or sugestion ??
    cheers

2. buddythedog

buddythedog

Is the new drive partitioned and formatted?

3. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

4. angel

angel

Have you now been able to partition and format it? (Not sure from your last post)
    If not, you can do this in Disk Management by right-clicking on the new drive. Let us know if you are still having any probs.

5. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

sorry i guess my last post wasnt very helpful .
    no i cannot see the drive in my computer .. but as i said i can see it in the device manager .. also in the bios its there . but i dont have any access to it .
    so how do i format it if i cant see it and it doesnt have a drive letter ( C:) or ( D)
    cheers

6. angel

angel

You need to go into Disk Management. Right-click on My Computer and select Manage, then choose Disk Management. Make sure you have at least SP1 also...

7. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

ok i have found what your talking about .. i hit the management and up cane that window . its online now but how to i or do i make partitions or what is the next step . new to this , thanks for the help !!!

8. angel

angel

What options do you have when you right-click on the new drive in Disk Management?

9. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

ANGEL::

thanks for your help .. i finally figured it out ..
    for anyone else who has / had this problem ..

right click my computer / select manage ...
    then in the new window click on manage dis( s) and select the disk that isnt found ..
    make it online , right click the icon in front of the infor for the disc and do the above ..
    then after it is online , then right click it again and select format set the options in the following screens . hten it will start to format the new drive . then wehn its done it should say in that window 100% done and healthy status . and then your good to go . fill it up or do what you like ..

again thanks all of you for your help ..
    cheers

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Does the drive show for its complete size?

11. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

AcaCandy ::::::::::::

yes the drive space is all there ..
    ;)

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Thanks! Looking at getting some larger drives soon :D

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/334262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice