Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: New Memory Modules Not Working!

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  halcour 
#1 ·
I have an ECS K7S5A motherboard w/a SIS 735 chipset, AMD Athlon XP chip. I was running 2 256k memory modules in my system, Accubyte brand. One went bad so I'm now down to one 256k module. I've tried installing two different 1 GB modules in my board and neither worked. (One generic industry standard and one Samsung module.) Both times the system went thru the bootup routine fine, checked memory and hd's etc, but then when it got to the point it should boot into Windows, it just sits there.

The memory module specs: PC2100 (64x8) 16C 266Mhz DDR 184Pin DIMM. The 256k module, the one that works in my machine, is made by Accubyte, but I can't find that anywhere on the internet.

The manual for the mb says it will take 1 GB of memory, so that's not the problem.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I am sick of running on only 256k!

Thanks,
Harold

#3 ·
OK, that apparently wasn't the problem. This is bizarre. When I put in the new memory module, the system goes thru the boot-up process fine, until it gets to the point where Win XP should start up. I then get an error msg that file "System 32/Drivers/Ntfs.sys" is missing or corrupt and the system just sits there. When I take out the new memory module and put in the old one, it boots into XP just fine. I've tried generic, Samsung, and Micron, same results.

Anybody have any idea what the heck is going on here? I'm really really sick of running my system on only 256k memory!

Thanks much,
Harold

#4 ·
256MB you mean?... 256K would be like a big text file.. LOL

Any way, If the new one is in by it self will it boot?..
The RAM could be different then the old one.. You may need to set your mother board for the new RAM...
I'm still new to the RAM game so this is just what Ive picked up..

You could run "Belarc Adviser" and get more detailed info on your system...

You have the manual for your MoBo so.. It could offer help on changing RAM and what kind it can handle.

Edit: You'll need to know if your chip is running at 266MHz like the RAM needs.
What kind of Athalon XP? What speed is it?...
I think Belarc will tell you.

#7 ·
halcour: It seems to me that there is a misconception about RAM. Some think that you can buy any RAM stick and put it in and it will work. It has been my experience that this is Not So.
What I do is go to a site that sells RAM and use their configurator. If they have one. If they don't have one, I go somewhere else.
Here is the site I used recently after messing around for a week trying to find compatible ram for my HP computer. I bought 1 sitck from them and it is guaranteed to work. It is in and working. Try them and see for yourself.

#8 ·
184-pin DIMM Banking
2 (2 banks of 1)
Chipset
SiS 735
DDR SDRAM Frequencies
PC1600, PC2100, and PC2700
Max Unbuffered DDR SDRAM
1024MB
Max Unbuffered SDR SDRAM
1024MB

2 x512 pc1600, pc2100 or pc2700 should work according to crucial

pull the cmos battery out for a few minutes and put back in to reset bios

#9 ·
#10 ·
"I then get an error msg that file "System 32/Drivers/Ntfs.sys" is missing or corrupt and the system just sits there."

The old memory likely corrupted the file system as you probably know info passes from HD to memory to cpu and back from CPU to memory to HD. If the memory is bad it will write corrupted data back to the hard drive.

You can attempt to do a repair install by throwing in your windows XP install to save files. A reformat would be a good thing to try if you have no files you can't afford to lose.

#11 ·
Was going to say the same thing. However, a restore may be possible without reformatting, or may get it to work until you can back up what you need.

But first, when you boot your comp, is the BIOS reading the new RAM? Does it do a RAM check after you install the new RAM sticks? It sounds like BIOS is recognizing it at this point, but it doesn't hurt to double check. The restore or reformat should fix your problem so long as the RAM is being read.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the responses, guys. 5 questions/comments:

1 - The specs of the Micron memory I currently have seem to be the same as the one Crucial recommends:

* DDR Memory Module

* PC-2100 266MHz, 184 pins

* Non-Parity, Unbuffered, None ECC

* Uses gold contact fingers and requires +2.5V

2 - The system works using one 256 module, so I think it should also work w/one 512 module, right?

3 - This mb will take 1 Gig, according to the manual.

4 - The "missing ntfs.sys" msg only comes up w/the new memory module. When the old module is in, everything boots up and runs fine. I tried this w/my regular hd and my back-up, "ghosted" hd w/the same results.

5 - The system is reading the new memory. It goes thru the boot-up process fine until it gets to the point when Win XP should boot. That's what I think is so odd.

Thanks much,
Harold

#13 ·
brite,

When you say this would reset the bios, that means I don't need to know the current specs in the bios myself, right. Everything will reset? Because about the only stuff I understand in the bios is the hd settings.

Should I put the new memory in first and then uplug the battery, so it's in there when I reset the bios?

Thanks,
Harold

#14 ·
halcour said:
brite,

When you say this would reset the bios, that means I don't need to know the current specs in the bios myself, right. Everything will reset? Because about the only stuff I understand in the bios is the hd settings.

Should I put the new memory in first and then uplug the battery, so it's in there when I reset the bios?

Thanks,
Harold
yes unplug the pc before you do anything, open case and pop out the battery for a minute or two, then put back in, along with new ram and start it up. the bios will go back to factory presets, you are using the right slots? do you have 3 or 4 slots or just 2?

#15 ·
MEMORY

2 DDR DIMM sockets and 2 DIMM sockets support (can not be used simultaneously)
Two 184-pin DDR SDRAM (DDR200, DDR266) or
Two 168-pin 3.3V SDRAM (PC100, PC133)
Maximum: 1.0GB (DDR or SDRAM)

your not trying to use both types of memory at the same time right?

#16 ·
the DDR sockets are blue and the SDRAM sockets are black, you can not use both at the same time

#17 ·
Ok, never mind, I just ran "memtest86" and the damn module is bad, bad, bad. Sorry for not checking that first, but it never occurred to me that these idiots would send me a second bad module, since the first was also bad.

So I'm getting a refund from these fools, spending a little more $ and going w/Crucial.

Again, apologies for not checking the obvious first.

Thanks for all the suggestions,
Harold

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.