1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New memory upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mandbsieck, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mandbsieck

mandbsieck Thread Starter

Dear Sirs and Madames,

I have expanded memory on my laptops in the past with no issues...not so fortunate this time while attempting to expand the memory on my Desktop.

The vitals of my desktop are as follows:

Gateway 5200X (Desktop)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP (Home Edition) SP2
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    Memory (RAM): 512 MB (two 256 MB sticks)

I will now explain the steps I followed to expand the memory...

1. Turned of CPU
    2. Removed power cord from CPU
    3. Opened cabinet.
    4. Installed two (2) 1 GB DDR PC2700 333Mhz... one (1) in each of the two remaining available slots.

(side note: I have always been under the impression that I needed to install the "New" memory in matched pairs, however, when making the request for "matching pairs" while purchasing the new memory I was informed that this was no longer the case... I hope the was correct guidance.)

5. Re-installed the cabinet.
    6. Re-connected the power cord.
    7. Turned on the power.

After the normal "Gateway" start up screen appeared I got the following message:

(Black Screen/White Text)

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device

I rebooted and the same appeared.

Now... I have "Recovery Disks" That I made... but no "Boot Media" that it's asking for...

9. I removed the newly installed
    two (2) 1 GB DDR PC2700 333Mhz. memory . (following the previous steps to install it.)

After the normal "Gateway" start up screen appeared I got the following message:

EV91510A

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz
    DDR 400 --> Operating in Dual Channel Memory Mode

Total installed memory: 504MB System RAM

Legacy Keyboard....Detected
    Legacy Mouse........Detected
    USB Legacy............Enabled

ATAPI CD-ROM 3M-HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B

Memory Size Decrease

Press <F4> to Resume
    (which I did...)

...and again...

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device

...( I believe I'm starting to see a vicious circle) ...( I believe I'm Star...:cool:)

I have not been able to enter "SAFE MODE" as well...

In conclusion the computer remains with the original "starting" configuration (without the new memory installed) and idol at the...

Any advice, obviously would be greatly appreciated and...
    Thank you in advance.

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Check the cables to your HDD, they may have come loose when you were installing the new memory.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/722488