1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New Memtest Question

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Ariesjill, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned Thread Starter

This works back to an active thread of mine re stop screen pool caller issue.

After running MS mem test briefly with good results a couple of days back, I just ran memtest with all 4 sticks in. I let it run for around 1 hr, 25 mins.....it seemed to only finish one actual whole test & with no errors; all the items on upper screen re percentages and my CPU I do not understand.

I only know this is the most turtle/sloth/snail like thing I have ever seen.:confused:

Are the above "results" after the interval stated, definitive? Do I need to run it longer or configure some part of it?

Thank U!

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

For me, 8 hrs is the minimum length of time to run mem test or MemTest86.

You might want to run the diags with only 1 pair of ram at a time.

RF123

3. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Hi Jill :)

Unless memtest86 throws an error, I run it overnight.

4. Ariesjill

I luv yr user name V much....tho it now brings great sadness for obvious reasons.:(
    I also luv and relate to yr signature.....at least that does not bring me sadness.:)

Which brings me to the OMG, I had NO IDEA RE MEMTEST 86 and the "normal" duration!

I guess, re yr suggestion, I should now remove the new two sticks I just installed and leave only the two 1GB original ones and run it.

Thank U for this input.:eek:

5. Ariesjill

Well, babe....U win so far. OVERNITE. This would mean I would have to be here and trust things would B OK.

I am someone who, after doing cleanup scans, when Windows shuts down I pull the surge protector strip from the outlet. We can see from this that the overnite, let it just gooooo.....a little foreign. And wut if, in the middle nobody is around and there are errors or some emergency?????

But I truly thank you for helping me get perspective, and at least I guess I need to do the 8 hour. Cause to endure the overnite thingy, Stoner, someone might need something HERBAL....and my tolerance for such is way lower than everyone's...maybe cause I am small....so not one of my things. You sorry you made this username yet?;):D

But why does this thing take so long??????????? I looked at the screen couple of times during the hour+25 and God....the percentages in the top part were going up soooooooooo sloooowwwwwly.
    :confused:

6. Stoner

Stoner Banned

:D
    Not sorry at all :D
    The screen name comes from my real name and participation in a (legal :D ) sport during my younger days.
    Actually, I do not tolerate any HERBAL abuse :D
    So far, I'm the only debater in Civ Debate to provide an argument in support of criminalizing drug abuse.
    As I posted before, others have made the wrong connection and many more likely will :D

But I digress :D

The more memory installed, the longer it takes to test.
    The computer I'm posting on has about 50 times more memory as my first, but the processor is only rated 4 times faster.
    Seems reasonable it takes longer to test many of these newer machines.

Look at this way, if your computer isn't stable enough to stay on all night, how can you fully trust it with really important projects?

7. Ariesjill

Stoner!

Mea Culpa....but as U reiterated, I am sure I am---WAS---in densely populated company. but also must say, I think everything shoUld be legal.....tho I do not use--i COULD NOT LUV EXPERIENCING everything every moment fully...more than I do. You realize, I assume everything was legal until early 20th century.....I know very bad things about this faux war on drugs from people in high places....forget alcohol is legal and about as damaging as anything. But this is 4 another place.

Meanwhile....I am having one of my hysterical giggle fits....my response to unalloyed computer stress..... in this, my Pool caller issue.....I have 12 page thread...grows a page every 11 minutes... and the more i read the more this Jilly meltiing down giggling increases. The last....intermidable page at MS....should have had a poison pellet to download at the end, OK?

Truth is....I need no substances.....everyone who doesn't know me already thinks I must smoke crack. It's just me, OK?

For the New Year, I wish you a complete dearth of Pooler Caller everything!!!!!!! OMG:eek:

8. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Happy New Year, Jill :D

9. Ariesjill

O! Thank U!!! At this moment that was major!(y):D

My no pooler caller issues wish for you third after healthy and happy! Good I cleared that up!:cool:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/667538

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice