1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New mobo and cpu, Code 10

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deletedmember174514, Feb 6, 2007.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deletedmember174514

Deletedmember174514 Guest Thread Starter

Hi, just went dual core so i bought a new mother board an ASrock 775Dual-Vista and a new pentium dual core 775 cpu. installed fairly hassle free. But now the cd drive isnt recognized in the device manger it says

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

this message appears on both the primary and secondary IDE channel i have attached a screen shot to clarify my poor description

Yet again many thanks guys

Attached Files:

2. thechanmane

thechanmane

Just for clarification, after your installed the new processor and motherboard, did you reinstall Windows? Also, have you installed the chipset drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard? Lastly, after installing the motherboard, did you take a look at any BIOS settings regarding IRQs or device configuration? Basically, does the BIOS configuration utility show the device properly, or is the problem universal?

3. Deletedmember174514

firstly no i used my old hard drive containing windows, i have installed the few drivers that were online, and i havent changed any bios settings. Thanks

4. thechanmane

thechanmane

Generally, anytime you upgrade core components (motherboard or processor for example) you should reinstall windows. Unfortunately, this causes many problems for most users as they don't means to perform the process without losing all their data. I'm surprised to hear that you were able to use an old Windows installation with the new hardware; I'm guessing you used Intel CPU before and a motherboard with similar architecture.

With this in mind, there are some things you can try before reinstalling Windows completely. Start by taking a look in the BIOS and see if you can find an item like "reset device configuration" or "PnP OS"; if you have the option, set the latter to "yes" or "true," and set the first item i suggested to "true" or "yes" as well. What this will do is release the current device configuration and reapply it upon the next startup. The second item will allow Windows greater control over the device configuration and possibly resolve the issue by itself. If you're having trouble finding these settings or options, let us know and we'll see if we can make it easier to follow. If this option fails or you want a second possibility, keep reading and give the next option a shot.

Since you CD drives (IDE channels) are the only devices affected so far, you can try simply uninstalling (right click > uninstall) them from the device manager and allowing Windows to reload them upon the next startup. I would start by only preforming this process on the problem devices (with an exclamation point), and if it doesn't solve your issue, try the other two. Keep in mind this is a fairly bold move as the IDE channels are quite important; however if your primary hard disk is sata and the IDE only contain CD drives, you should be safe. Since they aren't working correctly anyways, you won't have to worry about harming anything when you uninstall them. Make sure you have the correct chipset drivers installed before you preform the uninstall (or at least before you restart). Worst case scenario, you will have to reinstall Windows in the near future as the final solution. Give it a shot or if you prefer to reinstall Windows, go that route :). Keep us posted on how it goes!

5. Deletedmember174514

hi, i have tried to look for the bios options but with no success, and the second option also didnt solve it. when i first switched on the pc after i built it the cd drive did work but then windows installed some ide drivers and now its doesnt, the strange thing is that my hard drives are both ide and they work fin but not the cd drive.

6. thechanmane

thechanmane

Hmm, that is fairly strange, but it's what the image you attached indicates; two of your IDE devices work and two don't. Just for diagnostic purposes, you can try unplugging or disconnecting one of your hard drives and leave only one CD drive connected. Then, reboot and see if Windows resolves one of the issues. Theoretically, once you remove one of the devices there should be a free resource available for Windows to assign the remaining CD drive. If this isn't the case, then your issue may be deeper, caused by the hardware upgrade. I really feel like this issue can be resolved through the uninstallation of devices, drivers, or other components (temporarily, of course :)). Maybe while your unplugging your drives to diagnose, go ahead and reset your CMOS. This wouldn't be directly related to your issue, but it may inadvertently reset your device configuration and report the information that Windows needs to resolve the issue. I should be able to come up with a few more suggestions that don't involve reinstalling Windows, but in the meantime, go ahead and try out what I've said and report back how it goes. Also, how are your drives set up on the IDE ribbons? Which devices are Master and Slave, and how many devices are there total?

7. Deletedmember174514

hi, firly simple set up, on ide1 i have a master hard drive and a backup hard drive. IDE2 has a cd drive on. both hard drvies function.

8. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

This error can akso happen if there is an IRQ conflict, possibly another device using IRQ14 or IRQ15. That should not occur though in an ACPI enabled system.

When you click 'Computer' in Device Manager does it show as 'Standard PC' or 'ACPI Multiprocessor PC'?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since you have now installed a dual core cpu, at the very least you need to change the HAL [hardware abstraction layer] Unless you do that your system is using only one cpu core.

I would really recommend backing up what you want to keep and doing a clean install of windows.

There is a procedure to follow when you want to swap out motherboards without a clean install however this starts with the old board still installed. Since this is not the case, I would do the clean install.

10. thechanmane

thechanmane

I have to agree with crjdriver and my initial posts. If nothing has worked so far, there isn't much you can do besides reinstall Windows. At the very least, your CD drives will work and you will be able to use both cores in programs that support it. If you have any more updates for us, let us know; otherwise, you don't really have any other options.

11. Deletedmember174514

ok i think il get a new hard drive and install windows, it seemed like an easy option but its turning out to be a nightmare. thanks for your help

12. Deletedmember174514

just as an after though, whats the best way to back up the hard drive so i can keep all my settings and tweaks.

13. brite750

brite750

Youre not going to get many answers with the thread marked solved.
    Since you are buying a new hdd insatll windows on it and plug youre old one in as slave, you will be able to browse it and copy/paste any files you need, for tweaks youre on your own

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541717

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice