1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] New MoBo install help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by John Sparkman, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. John Sparkman

John Sparkman Thread Starter

I am doing some research before installing a new motherboard and processor coming from Tiger Direct and new memory coming from Crucial. I plan, for now, reusing my drives, cards, and case.
    I'm looking for suggestions on things to do before installing the new components. For example: Is there anything I need to do in Windows before shutting down and doing the upgrades?

Thanks
    John

2. torgo

torgo

if your going to use your old hdd I would format it and do a clean install on the new mb/processor. It cuts down on conflicts from old drivers, etc..

what mb & cpu did you get?

3. John Sparkman

I pick up a Shuttle AK32A board and an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ processor. At present I have a Gateway 450/PIII system.

The idea behind keeping My drives was so I didn't loose all the things I have installed. I will be upgrading to XP after the MoBo and processor upgrade, but for now I'll stick with Win 98SE.
    When I upgrade the hard drives I'll use Ghost to transfer to the new drive.

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

This is a little like driving without headlights but if you are using your old case my one recomendation is a new one. It probably has the one output fan of the power supply, right?

If so that processor is going heat up big time. I would investigate at the least, an input fan for the front of the case, usually about $15.00. This will draw cool air in to pass over the processor.

The other thing to think about with the case is the wattage of the original power supply. What is it? Or were you planing to replace the power supply due to it's compatibility with the new board?

I've found that when doing upgrades to the MOBO, processor and hard drives, the case seems like a minor thing but for the cost of a new case and power supply you will be far happier to invest now rather than later.

You said, "I plan, for now, reusing my drives, cards, and case." I assume that means in the future you plan on upgrading those items as well.

Think about that processor and MOBO. It's a great combination. It will run rings around what you're replacing so maybe you'll want two hard drives. One main and one security. Two cd bays. One for the CD-R and one for a CD-RW.

These will all need power connectors from the power supply as well as enough wattage to run it all.

Maybe you'll go to an AGP vid card with large memory with it's own fan. These take up room as well as produce more heat.

To sum up, having had to do this, the last thing you'll want to do is get this baby all up and running and two / six months down the road have to tear it all apart because the case is not up to snuff.

Sorry, shouldn't preach. If your budget can handle it, look at the existing case and look into the future. What do you want that new machine to do.

5. John Sparkman

Thanks griffinspc.
    I am looking into a new case. although I think I'll wait untill I get my hands on the MoBo manual so I can check out the power requirments for the board. I am presently running a 200 watt power supply with a second case fan at the back of the case pulling air out of the case. The power supply also has a large fan attached to the underside of the unit that also draws air out of the case and through the power supply. The left side panal has several vent holes in it now for letting cool air in. I am also running two hard drives, a CDROM and CD/RW. All the same though cases are cheap.

Thanks
    John

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

7. griffinspc

griffinspc

Edit: Hi Davey, guess you're still a faster typist :D

8. Davey7549

Davey7549

Griff--------> Beat ya!:p ;)

9. griffinspc

griffinspc

Do you remember Tron? He's in our machines right now. Why do you think they go wrong. Evil little bugger. ;)

10. John Sparkman

Thanks you two, but can any one of you tell me it there is anything I should do in Windows before sutting down to do the upgrade? Some one told me I needed to remove some things in device manager.

Thanks
    John

11. Rockn

Rockn

What excactly do you want to save from your current drive? If it only documents and stuff then just back those up to CD or other media. You might not even get it to boot with the new motherboard and installing the OS from scratch is always a good idea in this type of situation. You could just go into safe mode prior to the switch, go to device manager and delete every device listed, shut down and do the MB swap. What is your current setup with CPU, case and power supply?

12. griffinspc

griffinspc

I thought about this but honestly, I think I'd be not giving you very good advice if I didn't just come out and say. Start over. Reformat the drive. Build a new machine. You can still do it with the old drive, cards, etc., (with attention to the power supply as discussed above) but mixing and matching with this is just not a very good idea.

This is just my opinion and other's may disagree but that's my best advice. :)

Save the necessary important files of course but to try and do what you are proposing is like buying a Ferrari and feeding it 85 Octane gas. You're asking for problems.

13. John Sparkman

I guess you guys know I didn't want to here that. I haven't had to reformat and reinstall everything in almost two years. I guess I did want a winter project after all :rolleyes: . OK if I have to go that way I will, but before I do I want to try other things first. I don't think you can blame a guy for that. So lets hear your other ideas.

John

BTW: It looks like I'll need a 350 watt power supply.

John

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

John, I have taken a variety of hard drives from one machine to another with completely different motherboards and hardware.....it'll cry a bunch on startup, looking for new hardware etc. I usually try to cancel out as much as I can until I get to the desktop.......then I start with the display adapter first and work my way down to the lesser stuff.

15. griffinspc

griffinspc

That's good you made the decision on the power supply and case. I've never been able to stay within budget either. :D

As to doing this without a reformat, basically, you could follow Rockn's example. You must be prepared though and BACK UP ALL FILES.

I hate this just so you know and making it up as I type since I haven't tried this before. :( :D

Start by booting to Safe Mode. Standard VGA. From there you can go to device manager and one by one uninstall the modem, etc.

I'd also go into Add/Remove and uninstall any special installations such as Iomega software, Modem software, Video driver software and the like as well as any program applications you don't want or that are easily re-installed.

Most important. Uninstall your Anti-Virus software. It's going to see MBR changes, config and system changes and possibly hang you out to dry.

As Rockn said, you may not get this puppy to boot after the switch so be prepared for that.

I don't know, Rockn, Dave, you guys out there? What am I missing ?????

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117680

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice