1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: new mobo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cell, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cell

Cell Thread Starter

im lookin to upgrade my motherboard. i have a 2.8ghz p4 800fsb anybody got any good suggestions for a good motherboard. if anyone knows of a good cpu/mobo combo deal for a p4 let me know. ill use the 2.8 if its better and use the other cpu to build my sister a computer. thanks for any suggestions

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Check out some of the mobo/cpu combos at outpost.com

3. Cell

Cell Thread Starter

hey i have a frys right up the road from my house!!

what are some things i should look for in a good motherboard. obviously i would need to look for a 800fsb but anything new out there that would increase performance??

4. ~Candy~

Try to stay away from the ECS boards they have there. I blew through (literally) two of them. I still have the cpus, thank God, as they are the most expensive parts ;)

The last combo I got there was an MSI board, it is a very nice board and I'm still happy with it. I have a 2.8 chip in it, as that was 'almost' state of the art at the time ;)

5. Cell

Cell Thread Starter

i have an msi board too but i am not sure i am happy with it. its the neo pt 800.

6. ~Candy~

That's the one I have too, what don't you like about it?

7. Cell

Cell Thread Starter

it just seems like i have a hard time getting everything to be recognized (hdd's and drives) no matter how i have them set up. i make sure all the jumpers are set properly but it seems like its still a pain. i still havent gotten my sata drive to show up.

8. ~Candy~

I don't think that has anything to do with the board. Did you follow the instructions on setting up a SATA drive?

9. Cell

Cell Thread Starter

im pretty sure i did. but i cant check it because my floppy isnt working so i cant use the sata boot disk. i tried to download the files and do it that way but it still didnt work. i think that there might be something in the bios i havent done...not sure though.

10. ~Candy~

I don't have any SATA drives installed, but, yes, I believe there are some changes that need to be made in the bios setup too. Don't you have the motherboard manual? My MSI board is in Mexico, I'm currently in Las Vegas, I have a SOYO board here.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So you have Windows Installed on an IDE drive? If Windows is running go to Device Manager and see if there are any errors. Is the SATA drive listed there under the drives? Is Disk Management seeing the drive?

12. ~Candy~

13. Cell

Cell Thread Starter

haha i didnt mean for duplicate threads to run. i wanted this one to be about getting a new mobo and what was a good kind. kinda ended up on the same topic though.

sorry :( ill mark this one solved

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325148

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice