1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New modem - works wired, but not wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by napergal, Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. napergal

napergal Thread Starter

Hi - I just setup a new modem, worked with the ISP to properly configure it so it works when it's directly wired to the computer. But when I try to connect it to the wireless router (Netgear WGR614) I can't connect to the Internet. The ISP gave me the login & password info from the modem and told me to change the Basic Settings of the router with that info, which I did. Can someone help?

Thanks!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3326 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 71468 MB, Free - 20764 MB; E: Total - 305242 MB, Free - 256744 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc. , 0HJ054, , ..CN6986163T09A9.
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you remembering to power cycle (unplug for 30 seconds) the modem when switching the device connected to it?

EDIT: And clone the computer's MAC address to the router, just in case that is needed and they forgot to tell you?

3. napergal

napergal Thread Starter

I switched the ethernet cable from the desktop to the router without powering down anything. And I don't know what it means to "clone the computer's MAC address to the router." Can you explain? Thanks!

4. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Some cable companies use Media Access Control Address autorization. The MAC Address is a unique number assigned to each device manufactured; computer, modem, router, each has its own MAC Address.
    MAC authorization registers the MAC Address of the first device connected to the modem in the system. From then on, only the device with that MAC Address will work with the modem.

Sometimes the system can be reset by powering down the modem.

Most often, the router can be set to mimic, "clone", the computer's MAC address instead of using its own.

For your router this would be done under Basic Settings at the bottom of the page in the box Router MAC Address. You would select "Use computer's MAC Address".

5. Rysterr_x

Rysterr_x

i found this which should help you setup your wireless, as it isnt enabled by default

-----------------

Netgear WGR614 54Mbps Wireless Router

1. Begin setup of your Netgear Wireless Router by first reading the instructions in the included manual, and following their guidelines for plugging in and initializing the access point. The first few steps in this guide should coincide with the information found in the manual, however we will follow up with important information on how to secure your wireless access point.
    2. After powering up the router, use an ethernet cable to connect your computer to one of the ports on it marked 1 through 4. Next open a web browser window on the connected computer and type http://192.168.1.1 into the address bar and press enter. This will take you to the Netgear Smart Wizard welcome page, click OK to begin the configuration. The router will attempt to detect the type of connection you have and the next message you receive should be Dynamic IP (DHCP) Detected, click Next once you see this.
    3. Next you will enable the wireless capability of your router. In the dropdown box for the region where you are located select United States(?) from the list. On this screen you should also change the Wireless Network Name (SSID) from its default value to something unique so that your Base Station will not be confused with another. Click Next.
    4. You should now see a message confirming that your connection is working and wireless is enabled. However, your are not secured yet. Read the notes and click Done. Then direct your browser to http://www.routerlogin.net to continue the configuration. A window will pop up prompting you for your login and password, enter admin for the username and password for the password, then click OK.

Rysterr x - ignore the united states bit if you are from elsewhere,
    Hope this helps!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That will almost never work for cable or (A)DSL service.

I think that dlsayremn covered the MAC address cloning more than adequately.

7. napergal

napergal Thread Starter

I called Netgear support to get this working. After working through some other issues - updating firmware, etc., copying the computer's MAC address did the trick, though that option didn't appear until they had me set the "password required?" question to "no." Then they had to walk me through removing the network and re-adding it to each computer on the network. Thanks for trying!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1019216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice