1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New motherboard and CPU- Reinstall Vista??

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Olle, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Olle

Olle Thread Starter

Hi,

I want to change the motherboard and CPU and was wondering if I have to reinstall Vista after changing these hardware.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm guessing that will depend on whether you can boot Vista (maybe in Safe Mode?) and install the proper drivers for the chipset and other integrated devices.

3. Olle

Olle Thread Starter

Any more suggestions, regarding if I need to reinstall Vista when changing motherboard and CPU? I aslo was wondering if it is possible to copy registry setting to a different computer.

Suggestions and answers would be appriciate it.

4. Olle

Olle Thread Starter

I have now changed the motherboard and CPU. I can not come further than BIOS settings. I 've tried to reinstall Vista but it says that I need to update the BIOS. I do have a DVD with the chipset drivers but I am unable to update the drivers. When I insert the CD with the drivers it doesn't start. I have already changed the priority of the CD driver so it will check there first, so is not that.

How do I update the drivers without any vista. I don't have the drivers on floppy either, it's on CD.

5. keesu1

keesu1

Have you got XP disk?. If so load that and update the bios then uninstall and install Vista.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you update the BIOS? I guess it needs to know about the new hardware.

7. Olle

Olle Thread Starter

I've tried to update the BIOS by inserting the CD and then restart the system, but it doesn't run any of the drivers on the CD. How can I update the BIOS using the CD?

8. vistashen

vistashen Banned

You must reinstall the windows vista if the motherboard and CPU are different models. The drivers that were installed on the previous motherboard and the new motherboard will be entirely different if the model is not same. Even if it is the same model you may have a problem with windows activation. One Vista DVD can be install only in one computer at a time so you need to reactivate windows in case of same model.

I highly recommend to reinstall the windows Vista

9. Olle

Olle Thread Starter

By the way the motherboard is Asus Maximum Extreme X38. I've tried to update the BIOS using USB in the ASUS EZ Flash 2 according to the manual. I copied the the BIOS updated version from Asus dowload page, to the USB. The processor is IntelĀ® Core™2 Quad Q9550 2.83 GHz and 2x2 Patriot Viper 1333 MHz RAM DDR3.

Now after updating the BIOS, the system doesn't POST no more and no beeps, nothing on the monitor screen (black). I guess the updated BIOS file was not the correct file.

On the display that is connected to the motherboard, it says TESTCMOS. I tried to reset that by using the clr CMOS switch on the back of the motherboard without any result. Nothing happens. I can't reset the CMOS by using the switch either. Any ideas??

10. Olle

Olle Thread Starter

I've just tried to remove the CMOS battery and left it out about 1 hr and put it back and restart the system. I was hoping to be able to reset the CMOS this way. But no luck. Like I wrote earlier the reset button for the CMOS on the mb is useless (at least in my case). I tried once again to press the ctl CMOS and when I press it the computer shuts down without restarting. Any ideas...anyone??

11. vistashen

vistashen Banned

If you would have followed my suggestion it would have been fix by now but anyway gone is gone. Now get into bios flash again and delete the one that you have updated it will revert it back to original. Try to boot from Vista DVD once done and see what happen.

12. vistashen

vistashen Banned

If that fails you should consider replacing the motherboard since every motherboard comes with 3 years warantee.

13. Olle

Olle Thread Starter

To Vistashen - thanks for your reply and trying to contribute your expertise to solve this issue, but if you would have read carefully above you would see that I've tried to reinstall Vista initially. The Vista reinstallation is not the problem. I couldn't get past the POST screen. The problem was/is that BIOS needs to be updated because of then new CPU. I.e Vista wouln't load after reinstallation.

As a result the BIOS need to be updated outside of the windows envirionment. Now I have bigger problem, that is the system doesn't POST i.e nothing on screen, no BIOS.

Now you wrote: "Now get into bios flash again and delete the one that you have updated it will revert it back to original. Try to boot from Vista DVD once done and see what happen."

How can I boot from the Vista DVD if the system doesn't POST? Please next time, read the problem carefully before posting a reply.

14. vistashen

vistashen Banned

I mean to say that once the bios is flash back to original you may want to try booting from vista DVD it dosn't that it should thats why I mention to considered replacing the motherboard. I hope you got it.

15. Olle

Olle Thread Starter

I replaced the motherboard with Asus Striker II Extreme. I installed it and started the system without no problem. I didn't have to update the BIOS (Unlike the previous one) this time. I reinstalled Vista and everything worked fine. I am going to contact Asus and see if the initial default is covered by the warranty (unlikely but I have to give it a shot).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/831191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice