1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New Motherboard and XP Not Getting Along

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by maheanuu, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maheanuu

maheanuu Thread Starter

A good friend just had a motherboard failure, and purchased a new (?) one.

As we do not live at the end of the world, just over that end by a few hundred kilometers, a new motherboard here can rest in storage for months on end before it is sold to the public.

The motherboard is a Biostar Combo 6B13 Model MCP6BP M2+ Ver. 6.3 After I did the install, I installed the Drivers on the CD and 2 days later I am receiving STOP Errors and I can't get into windows to upgrade the drivers.

I have downloaded the latest BIOS and also a slew of upgrades for this board as apparently it and XP haven't gotten along for a long time. My problems are two fold, One is figuring out how to build a boot disk (CD) for the Bios, and also if that doesn't clear up my entering windows problem, is there a way to build a Bootable CD to install the drivers in the motherboard without opening windows?

For those who might like to know where I am located that is so remote, Here is my location
    Lat. S 16° 44.249'

Long W 151° 28.315'

By boat, it takes 15 hours to get to the "Big" City of Papeete. Also, down here, knowledge is power and is not to be dispensed without proper compensation. So any help from here would be very gratefully appreciated.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

A bios upgrade will not solve the stop errors.

No, no way to install drivers outside of windows.

Can you post the entire stop error?

Have you tried safe mode? From there you can do a System Restore, and maybe get it booting again.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/combo/index.php

Here is the site for your motherboard. There are two actual listings for the motherboard depending on which processor. The site has all the downloads for the use of the board with XP and the chipset drivers etc.
    Please come back if any problem. UK time is 1950hrs.
    Had a look at the Lat Long - a bit isolated.

4. Macboatmaster

5. maheanuu

maheanuu Thread Starter

"Have you tried safe mode? From there you can do a System Restore, and maybe get it booting again."

I can't get that far without Bsod'ing.. I am thinking about reformatting a clean disk that hasn't had XP installed and seeing if that will boot ok... I am pulling at straws now

6. Macboatmaster

Please read the link I sent. It may well be recoverable. You have to install the motherboard first and then with the hard drive in and the XP installation CD follow the link.

7. maheanuu

maheanuu Thread Starter

Thanks Mac, I am reading the link, and have saved it to take with me where the puter is at present. I inserted a 320gig Sata drive that never had XP ever installed, but was used as a data storage device and I have the same resulting problems that I had with the original 80gig hard drive that was installed from the beginning. I have repartitioned the 320 gigger into 3 partitions called C, Data, and Recovery and am going to try do a clean install on this drive and then move all the data that I have already saved form the original C drive to the 320 gig. The owner has ordered 2 500 gig Sata drives from the states and will be here in about 2 weeks and I will just dump everything on them after I set them up as raid drives for him. For sure I want to keep the partitions like I have mentioned earlier. If it is possible to set them up as I want. For the moment I will attempt to load only windoze XP into the hundred gigger I have as C and go from there. Man, this has been a real wake up call.. I never ran XP on anything I owned, I went from Win 2000 to Vista which I am still using on this box I am on Now.

I made the mistake of running Vista Ultimate Pro 64 bit, it is OK, but from what I have heard it is a dog compared to Win7. I had heard of the problems of XP and its installs but never had experienced it till this week... Wow!!!

8. maheanuu

maheanuu Thread Starter

Mac, the CD I have for XP is a full XP Home edition with Service Pack 2

I am not understanding this statement "You have to install the motherboard first and then with the hard drive in and the XP installation CD follow the link." There is no way to install the motherboard to my knowledge. The driver CD uses windows to install itself and the downloads are all windows files with the exception of the Bios Upgrade.

Please point me in the right direction, as of right now, I cant see the forest because of all the trees. I guess that I am having more than one problem as I have been working and thinking on this for over 4 days and spinning my wheels all the way...

Not dissing you just pretty well lost and tired out..

Thanks to all of you who have answered me and I really do appreciate your help and advice. I just want to get it right and if I am not understanding something I will ask for clarification.Oh, I also forgot to mention that the windows XP and computer I am working on is the French Edition along with the keyboard and all the setup files and all... I speak French, but my reading abilities are rather limited and as far as Technical French... I am sorta handicapped.

Thanks again,

Ken Jackson
    CPO USN Ret.

9. Macboatmaster

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125
    Have a look at the above it is possibly easier to follow than the previous one.
    I would have put the new motherboard in, entered setup, without the hard drive in and checked the system temperatures, fans and voltages. Setup all that was possible ie: clock etc, graphics on AGP, IDE or onboard whatever and the Sound card, onboard LAN etc.
    I would then have SAVED and exited usually F10 and then put in the hard drive and gone back to setup and checked that this was shown correctly and setup boot device priority.
    I would have commissioned this as FIRST boot device for DVD/CD drive and then with the XP CD in F10 again and booted to the CD.
    I would then have gone to REPAIR install of XP - not the recovery console - and carried out that procedure as on the link herewith.
    As Mumbodog advised you, the STOP errors would be useful. He is more experienced than me at interpreting these and I would advise you to post them on here.
    If the screen is not staying ON long enough to read then then disable restart on failure.
    Also see PM sent.

10. maheanuu

maheanuu Thread Starter

Again, thanks Mac. I was hoping that you might answer this today (afternoon here in Polynesia)

I will start listing all the stop codes I have written down so far I try to keep a record of them...

Maruru Roa (Thank You Very Much)

11. maheanuu

maheanuu Thread Starter

Here are the ones I have copied, and I probably will have more tomorrow morning when I get back here unless Mac's ideas work. No matter what happens, I will be posting either the Fix and how it went or the problems and how they have grown <grin>.

Gabe's Machine IDE Maxtor STM 3802110A SATA1 STM3320620AS

STOP: 0x0000000A (0x89A36008, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8051E9EF)

STOP: 0x0000007A (0xE15D5CE8, 0xC0000102, 0xBEB9A0A8, 0x46C5B880)

STOP: 0x0000007A (0xE19875D0, 0xC0000102, 0xBEA31000, 0x47FB8880)

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP: 0x0000000A (0x89A3A008, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8051E9EF)

STOP: 0x00000051 (0x0000000D, 0x00000001, 0x0x00000000, 0x00000000)

STOP: c000021a Logon Terminated 0xc0000130

BioStar Mainboard Combo Kit
    COMBO6B13 AB10100730
    MCP6BP M2+ Ver. 6.3

Here is all that I have so far that is pertinent.

12. maheanuu

maheanuu Thread Starter

Here it is 15:05 Sunday afternoon, I dropped in a new virgin 320gig SATA Drive (Maxtor) and did a CD Boot install, formatted the drive correctly and only using one partition. I am seeing the loading going quite slowly tho, and spent the entire morning until about 13:00 managing to get in about 57% of the install. I went to lunch and had another BSOD Stop message waiting for me upon my return.

STOP: 0x0000008E (0x00000005, 0x805E41AA, 0xF75F6A98, 0x00000000)

Left the site for here with 40% on the restarted install chugging right along on tosdvd.sys which at the time had been installing this particular file for about 7 minutes.. That is what I am seeing on a tremendous amount of these files is a huge slowdown on the install times, to me this is not normal, but again, I haven't ever dealt with XP before.

I was hoping that there might be a message or more on ideas, as it is now, I am going back and do a memory test to see if the memory is causing me problems, the screen was in French but technicial French is a language all of it's own, and so far I don't have anyone to help me translate it, I will be doing a photo of it if I have a crash again tonight and will to a translation or talk to a French Friend in Papeete who can do a translate for me. From my basic xlation, I believe it is telling me that it is stepping into a reserved space and is crashing.....

That is all I have for now, and will continue on and see what I have when I return back on site in a few minutes.

13. maheanuu

maheanuu Thread Starter

After going back and doing a restart and a write over, I finally got it to boot from windows and this time got a message that told me that something was wrong with memory. I ran a mem diagnostic and it failed 6 out of 6 tests and it was always the same group of bits that failed no matter what the test. I was suprised that it hadn't shown up earlier, also that it didn't show up in the boot mode... Off to pick up another DDRII memory and then I think that we will be up, or at least have a chance to be that way sometime tomorrow.. The memory was purchased at the same time as the new motherboard and it ran for 2 days with no problem then started giving me the Stop errors... I should have caught it earlier.

For sure I will not get caught on that problem again.... I am sure that the dead giveaway on the problem was the terribly slow installation of XP on the virgin drive and the fact that right up to the start of windows in the normal mode there was no indication that there was any problem other than taking such a very long time to load and decompress files from the CD. At 35% it took about a half an hour to move 1 percentage point and again at 53% it took over an hour and a quarter to get to 54%. I remarked at the time about the terribly long time, but never having installed XP before I had no standard to go by.... I am not sure that the system is going to fly with new memory without doing a complete reload, or set up in the Repair mode... That will be tomorrows episode...

Thanks to Mumbodog and to Macboatmaster for their time and help. You got me back on track and I really appreciate the help.

I am not finished yet, but will be back at it tomorrow afternoon. I hope to have good news....

Maruru Roa

14. antech

antech Banned

Good place to live in..uh?
    Hope it a better than Ghaziabad,India,
    am i right?

15. Macboatmaster

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315335

STOP 0etc 8E is a classic memory fault error on XP setup. .. See attached to confirm the memory fault error., albeit you have indeed already done so. As it is new memory, with new motherboard, I would start to suspect the power supply.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice