Solved: New motherboard & cpu, blank screen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CROCobalt

Hi, I got a new motherboard and cpu. I'm fairly sure I installed everything properly, but when I turn my pc on, all I get is a blank screen. All of the fans are spinning and nothing is beeping. I even tried removing my graphics card and plugging the monitor into the onboard gpu, but the same still occurs.

Specs:
ASRock B85M pro 4
Pentium G3258
Sapphire Radeon R7 250
Kingston 2x2GB ram (regular 1333 DDR3 ram, doesn't have a specific name, only serial number or sth similar)
Corsair CX500
WD Caviar green
Old cpu and mobo: Core i5 650, ASRock H55M-LE

CROCobalt

Well I couldn't reinstall Windows if all I get is a blank screen, haha. I forgot to mention that I didn't reset CMOS. Could that be it?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You need to go into the BIOS and set the disc drive first in the boot order.

The motherboard manual should have instructions and images on how to do that.

Assuming you have a legal bootable Windows disc, you then boot from your Windows disc and reinstall Windows.

Note: You didn't say which Windows version and bit version was previously running in your computer.

--------------------------------------------------------

CROCobalt

Thanks for the advice, but, like I said, I keep getting a blank screen so I can't access anything. I had 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I've never replaced a motherboard or processor, so one of the hardware experts here will need to help you.

Unless you did something wrong during the hardware upgrade process, setting the disc drive first in the boot order and then booting from a legal bootable Windows disc should allow you to reinstall Windows.

-----------------------------------------------------------

CROCobalt

Like I said twice before, my monitor screen is blank. I can't see anything, or access anything. The lights and fans in the pc work, but I get no picture on the monitor whatsoever.

CROCobalt

My GPU doesn't use power wires, and like I said, I also tried using the onboard GPU with the card unplugged and got the same results.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If the monitor is staying blank and not displaying ANYTHING, it's my guess there's a hardware issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------

CROCobalt

Tried reseating RAM and CPU several times, nothing happened. Also tried reseting CMOS, still nothing.

crjdriver

First of all, have you read the guide at the top of the forum for "problem builds"

If you follow ALL of the steps of the guide, you will find the cause of your problem.

One thing I do see is that the cpu you installed is supported from bios 2.00 onward. If your board has an earlier bios, then the cpu is not supported.

dustyjay

Jay
Did you properly connect the 12Vdc power Aux connector to the motherboard?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online