1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New motherboard doesn't like to put the computer into sleep.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dant22185, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dant22185

dant22185 Thread Starter

I recently built a new computer. All is awesome. Only one thing urks me. When I put the computer into sleep when I am going to step away from it for an extended period of time, sleep does not shut off the fans as well. So in essence the computer is still running just without a display. Its possible it may simply be running a low powered mode with only minimal power going to the processor and the Mobo is simply keeping the fans running. There is no way to really identify if that is the case though, and I do not want my fans running all the time.

The mother board I am using is the EVGA FTW3 x58. I noticed my brother has the same issue and he is running the Classified version of the EVGA x58 boards. I was wondering is this just a safety precaution EVGA uses and is specific to them or is there a way to configure the board / computer to make the computer go into the sleep mode I want it to achieve. I have searched the bios high and low and cannot find this option. The user manual does not say much about this either. Note: I am very well versed in what is listed in my bios. Thanks for any info you guy may be able to provide.

2. dant22185

dant22185 Thread Starter

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What mode do you have selected in the bios for sleep/suspend? It should be S3 if you want it to pw down and shutoff fans, etc.

4. dant22185

dant22185 Thread Starter

I'll have to take a deeper look.

5. dant22185

dant22185 Thread Starter

Changing the power configuration as you suggested worked just the way I wanted it to. Thank you for the support. Marking this thread as solved!

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome; wish they were all that easy(y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!